Bulb change in glove box

AUDI2012

A2OC Donor
Evening chaps,

My bulb has gone in the glovebox and i have tried to remove/prise the cover but no joy, and dont want to break anything.

Just wondering is there a tecnic to it or is the whole unit required to be removed for just a bulb change? Not sure if i read something like that before. ?

Any assistannce would be appreciated.

Nice1.

if the bulb as gone its highly likely that the switch actuator is broken as well (99% of A2's have this part broken)
If it is, the bulb is on all the time that the ignition is on, hence the bult goes
Drop me a PM as I make and supply a 3D printed repair piece for £3.50 plus postage to repair the switch
Its easier to remove the glove box to fit the switch repair part so change the bulb at the same time

Paul

20200201_233332.jpg

Last edited:
if the bulb as gone its highly likely that the switch actuator is broken as well (99% of A2's have this part broken)
If it is, the bulb is on all the time that the ignition is on, hence the bult goes
Drop me a PM as I make and supply a 3D printed repair piece for £3.50 plus postage to repair the switch
Its easier to remove the glove box to fit the switch repair part so change the bulb at the same time

Paul

Thanks for your reply Paul, I hadn't realised you offered this service. I'll be in touch when required. However, has anyone tried the workshop manual technique provided by Vic before resorting to remove whole compartment? (Thanks Vic)

yes Vic's method to get to the bulb will work fine, but you are very very likely to find a busted switch and you then need to remove the glove box anyway
There are 5 screws holing it in the car, on is hidden behind the coin holder, two more inside the top of the glovebox, one underneith at the inboard side, and one at the sill side behind the sill/A pillar trim

Paul

yes Vic's method to get to the bulb will work fine, but you are very very likely to find a busted switch and you then need to remove the glove box anyway
There are 5 screws holing it in the car, on is hidden behind the coin holder, two more inside the top of the glovebox, one underneith at the inboard side, and one at the sill side behind the sill/A pillar trim

Paul

Well, I changed the bulb for a new one and guess what? It didn't work. Paul, you were spot on. I was hoping I did not have to remove the glove box but I guess it's a complete switch actuator change then...I'l leave it for now as not in a rush but will be in touch. Thanks again.

Nice1 ;)

the repair part is only £3.50 plus postage of a £1
It IS possible to fit it with the glovebox in the car, but its far more difficult to see what you are doing, especially if its the first one that you have done
I do not remove the glovebox any more, but I've fitted dozens of them, can nearly do it with me eyes shut now :)

Paul

Well, I changed the bulb for a new one and guess what? It didn't work. Paul, you were spot on. I was hoping I did not have to remove the glove box but I guess it's a complete switch actuator change then...I'l leave it for now as not in a rush but will be in touch. Thanks again.

Nice1 ;)
I had the same issues the switch was forced open by a previous owner to stop the battery draining when the driving lights are on. I replaced the hammer/wedge courtesy of Depronman and his replacement, and I squeezed the switch back to it's operating position so far all is well.
John

Mine had broken off the plastic blade in between the metal plates so it never came on. I tried a DIY repair with superglue and plastic supports - lasted less than a month. I now have Paul’s part to fit... eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul
I might be wrong but does the glove box light only activare when the lights are on? My switch was broken too, now fixed with one of Paul's repair part.

Mine had broken off the plastic blade in between the metal plates so it never came on. I tried a DIY repair with superglue and plastic supports - lasted less than a month. I now have Paul’s part to fit... eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you still havent fitted it...........

Back