Buying Dilemma - 1.6 FSI vs TDI 75

TF26

Hi Guys.

Its probably been covered 100s of times but im in a real dilemma of which model is the better but for me.Car will be used mostly for short 10 mile drives.Which model will cope best with that kind of journey?Does the cheaper purchase price on the FSI out way the "bulletproof" TDI?

FSI - Cheaper purchase,less ancillaries (turbo,intercooler) to go wrong,Better handling wirh ligher engine?

TDI75 - Cheaper tax,better fuel economy,More sort after,Noisy?

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks

FSi - possible manifold problems, injector faults, cooling problems.........but with research a well maintained car now possibly fitted with a Pro boost ECU would be a good choice...……... but you will need to find a GOOD car to start...….....and the cost of the ECU must be added to your purchase cost.
TDi75 well known and bullet proof if well maintained, again you need to find a GOOD car and go from there and of course its possible to remap them for a bit more go and economy if you wanted it.
The low mileage trips you'll be doing will in some ways effect both cars but with a little more servicing shouldn't be too much of an issue.....TDi road tax is a lot cheaper...but what the government do in future with global warming and getting us out of private cars who knows.....
Prehaps see if there are any members close to you who'd be happy to let you drive their cars so you can get an idea as to which suits you best.
Good luck with your search.

Oooh, this is a tricky one indeed. The TDi is a good car but needs longer runs to be worth the extra cash. The FSi is a good car also but will require a bit of fettling from time to time.

I think the answer to your question lies on what you plan to do with the car when you are NOT doing your 10 mile runs. If you are looking for a steady long distance cruiser then the TDi is the one. If you are looking for a fun weekend blast then the FSi is top choice.

Have you considered the 1.4i? For the 10 mile journey it will be nice and quiet for a relaxed trip and is a little bit easier to live with expenses wise if you don't want to or need to take advantage of the excellent driving characteristics of the FSi?

Best thing to do is have a drive in each if you can, but don't rule out the little 1.4 as it's also a smashing car for the correct trips.

I had the exact same dilemma with the same sort of circumstances.

I was erring towards the TDI potentially being swayed by the lower road tax however in the grand scheme not massive.

I then drove a couple of diesels and I was put off a little as the two I drove were rough examples and not looked after together with diesel grumble I’m not used to (my other car is an incredibly refined modern diesel merc) so started on petrols. The 1.4 felt a bit slow to me as every car I’ve ever had has been faster (save for my first). I was then fortunate enough to find a very good condition FSI with super low mileage, the only things that needing tending to were mostly things I could do myself. After driving it I was sold on the FSI as its has a completely different character, I’m also getting pretty good MPG on it too so the diesels extra economy is not a country mile ahead.

There are horror stories on the FSI however a lot come from poorly maintained or not looked after vehicles. There are however lots out there that are perfect, I’m fortunate mine is one of them.

If I go out to buy another and even knowing what I know i’d want another VGC FSI.

FSIs are the best version of the A2, despite the gloom merchants, but, not best choice for short runs, where it'll never warm up, and getting it over 3000 rpm will, probably, be a rare occurrence. Also, you need to us Super Unleaded, 98/99 octane, to keep the engine sweet, not the most economical fuel for your usage pattern. I'd look at the non turbo diesel, or 1.4 petrol. Not the most fun, but, the most sensible choice. Mind you, that hasn't always influenced me as much as it should have!
Good luck either way.
Mac.

FSIs are the best version of the A2, despite the gloom merchants, but, not best choice for short runs, where it'll never warm up, and getting it over 3000 rpm will, probably, be a rare occurrence. Also, you need to us Super Unleaded, 98/99 octane, to keep the engine sweet, not the most economical fuel for your usage pattern. I'd look at the non turbo diesel, or 1.4 petrol. Not the most fun, but, the most sensible choice. Mind you, that hasn't always influenced me as much as it should have!
Good luck either way.
Mac.
All the A2's are turbo diesel... As for short runs, turn the heater off and the temp comes up. Not ideal but my 14 mile trip gets the temp up to 90 even on coldish days. 50 mpg as well.

FSIs are the best version of the A2
Are they!? That's a fairly bold and categorical statement. I love all A2s and don't wish to rank them, but the FSI is, without doubt, the most troublesome of the engines available. I'm no gloom merchant; just someone who's been deeply immersed within the world of A2s for over a decade and who's probably driven more A2s than anyone else.

I'd look at the non turbo diesel
They don't exist. All diesel A2s are turbocharged.

Have you considered the 1.4i
Given the sort of journeys the car is likely to do, this would be my recommendation.

Cheers,

Tom

Another thing to consider (unfortunately) is your local authorities views on diesel pollution. Several city centers are looking at either a diesel charge or total ban for older vehicles. I personally prefer diesel so that gets my vote. Although if you can find a good non bodged FSI and research them then that may be the way to go. As they say the choice ultimately is yours.

My a2 tdi has done 3 mile x2 every day for the last year, once a month i get it to running temperature and run up up and down a dual carriage way. However its also the reason im looking to let it go before i kill it.

Thankyou everyone for your great feedback!

@PlasticMac and @Jeetesh being as you sounded well clued up on the FSI what would your opions be on a "good condition" 158k FSI? On a 2004 plate obviously it in the low side for its age but is that too much of a gamble/risk milage wise for a FSI?

Thankyou everyone for your great feedback!

@PlasticMac and @Jeetesh being as you sounded well clued up on the FSI what would your opions be on a "good condition" 158k FSI? On a 2004 plate obviously it in the low side for its age but is that too much of a gamble/risk milage wise for a FSI?
I’m 3 months in and have learned a lot so my checks and balances would be as follows:

1. Check for misfiring, if there is any hint I’m not sure I’d touch it as there could be a fair amount of cost to come.
2. Check EML light turns on and then off of again after startup. I understand there have been some occasions where an unscrupulous had masked it.
3. Service history is essential - it demonstrates a well cared for car.
4. Timing belt and water pump - make sure it’s been done recently or you’ll have to budget for it.
5. At 158k miles I’d suspect that the carbon build up on valves/intake would be quite high. Typically this seems to occur at between 60-80k+ (On all FSI’s not just A2’s) miles however also depends on how it’s been looked after. Check whether something has been done to get it cleaned and when.
6. You may also want to get someone with VCDS lite to see what error codes are thrown up, it may indicate problems (if any) that there may be.
7. When you say ‘good condition’ is that the cars body work and interior or does that include mechanicals?
8. Mot history, check what it’s passed/failed on previously so you know what’s been done. I’d expect there to be a receipt for where there was a fail which is proof of works completed to ensure there isn’t a botch job.
9. Check whether it’s been run on super-unleaded, including however many previous owners. If the seller doesn’t know, they didn’t care to ask and a potential red flag.
10. Check how frequent the oil changes are and what grade of oil, this will give you an idea of how considerate the owner was.

Those as the FSI specific things I can think of and others may be able to add more. You’ll still need to do all the normal checks you’d do when buying any car.

Personally unless the FSI was in rude health, that mileage might scare me having never owned a car with that many miles as a £1000 FSI which has potentially £1000 of work to do is not for me, I’d rather go and buy a TDI 75.

I love my FSI and clearly previous owners loved it too before me so mine is a pristine example. If anything from the above seems on the ropey side the you might be better walking away. Alternatively when you’ve viewed send me a PM if you want a further opinion.

Hope that helps, and others may be able to add more to the list of FSI specific checks.

@Jeetesh absolutely fantastic response carnt thank you enough for the time it must have taken to put that together! If im being honest im starting to think the 158k mite be on the high side and although i think the 1.4 petrol may be the obvious choice i think i may go for a tdi unless i can stumble across a low mileage FSI.Thankyou again

I agree with @Jeetesh, but, I'd push a VCDS scan to the top of my list. Scan first, before considering making an offer. Either install VCDS - (the free Lite version + eBay cable at £5 + any Windows laptop XP, Vista, 7,8,10), or get someone on here who has it to keep you company.

I solemnly promise never to venture any advice or opinion relating to A2 diesels ever again. ?

Mac.

Back