Buying my first A2 - I have some questions..

milkypirate

Hello!

I’m looking to acquire my first A2. Today I’ve been to see one that seems nice for the price (1.4, leather, 60k miles, new MOT, £1100), but there are some issues. What I’m trying to find out is if these are minor, or should I walk away.

1 - All the electrics in the front passenger door seem to be not working. The door doesn’t unlock with the others, the window doesn’t work and nor does the electric mirror on that side. Is this a known issue, maybe just a fuse or connector, or possibly something more serious?

2 - When opening the driver’s door, the door drops slightly. Is this an easy fix or common problem?

3 - The fuel cap can only be opened from in the boot - thanks to the search function I already know the answer to this one.

Thanks in advance!

Ste

I'll leave your questions to the experts to answer and just say welcome!

£1100 for a 60k 1.4 sounds an absolute bargain, so let's hope someone here can get you sorted out.

Hello and welcome,
No 1 could be a broken wire in the loom between the "A" pillar and the door common fault on all makes of cars......simple fix
No 2 hinge pins may be worn easy to check open the door and see if you can lift it slightly, if so look at the hinges while you lift, you'll see the movement.
No 3 Is the petrol flap switch in one piece, its on the drivers "B" pillar, they do fall to pieces replacements are about £20-25 but you may find a good S/H one.
Chris.

Welcome aboard...
1 could be the connector on the A pillar, either disconnected or corroded - broken wires also possible, but unlikely on the passenger door much more likely on the drivers door
2 check for worn hinge pins by opening the door and trying to lift it as above
3 fuel flap not opening - does the interior light come on when you open the drivers door ? if so then likely the B pillar switch, if no light then micro switch or solder joint on door lock in drivers door

All relatively easy fixes

Cheers,

Thanks for all your tips. I ended up seeing another that I preferred; it’s from a dealer with warranty and in showroom condition although the mileage is higher. Hopefully I won’t have too many more questions after I pick it up!

Back