CAN-BUS Confusion...

Jason_e

Good afternoon all!

As per the title, I have some mega confusion surrounding the level of CanBus my 51 Plate A2 (Built and delivered in January 2002).

The main issue I have is the Concert 2 CD Player not illuminating, and not switching off. I initially assumed the 2 must be switched via canbus, therefore its the wrong stereo for my non (Or lower level) canbus car.

However, I dug further and according to my Vehicle options list (From Audi) It did come with a Concert Radio, which makes sense as I have the manual in the service pack. Furtheremore, it would appear as though I have the wiring to suggest its correct also:

IMG_2102.jpeg

So Im a bit perplexed as to my issue. The only other thing I can think of is that my spec list also says:

87 9Q2 VWGROUP MFA Driver Information System (DIS)

Now my car does not have dis. I just have an outside temp showing. I'm wondering if someone has downgraded from a DIS at some point, causing some Canbus errors in the loop? Or, maybe its just a Control module error in there somewhere.

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jason

Yes but it could have been a concert 1 not the concert 2 you have fitted in the car now.

This is a concert 1 radio cassette. Generation 2 radios will need an emulator for the can bus to work in the earlier cars.

1647864580115.png

DIS is another matter can you post your dash with the ignition on.

Yes but it could have been a concert 1 not the concert 2 you have fitted in the car now.

This is a concert 1 radio cassette. Generation 2 radios will need an emulator for the can bus to work in the earlier cars.

View attachment 92444

DIS is another matter can you post your dash with the ignition on.

I have the Concert 2, nobs either side and a CD slot. The Manual in the car folder pack matches this, as does the spec code (I think?) maybe it should be the Concert 1!

79 8UD VWGROUP RAO concert radio

As for the dash, i've taken a snap from a frame in a video so excuse the quality! But you can see its a standard binnicale as far as I'm aware.

IMG_1942_Moment.jpg

Yes that is the small DIS dash and is correct. The 8UD was the Concert 1 radio cassette an upgrade to the standard Chorus 1 at the time. Someone must have obtained a concert 2 and manual for it.

So it does look like you need the can bus emulator to make the second generation Concert 2 work correctly.

Yes that is the small DIS dash and is correct. The 8UD was the Concert 1 radio cassette an upgrade to the standard Chorus 1 at the time. Someone must have obtained a concert 2 and manual for it.

So it does look like you need the can bus emulator to make the second generation Concert 2 work correctly.
Amazing! Thank you so much for clearing that up. I was doubting myself there.

I think I’d rather have the old tape version!

Ironically your car is amongst the last that used the generation 1 stereos. A few months later they were all generation 2 as standard.

You could place a wanted ad to see if someone has a generation 1 radio available.

Ironically your car is amongst the last that used the generation 1 stereos. A few months later they were all generation 2 as standard.
I have quite the habit of buying cars on crossover years. My TT I just sold was 2002, my Range Rover is 2006 with a facelift exterior and pre facelift interior!

Nothing like making parts purchasing that bit more of a lottery is there...

At least on the A2 apart from the can bus / radios the only other real changes were the petrol 1.4 from an AUA to a BBY engine, the diesel 1.4 AMF to a BHC, the "facelift" where the service flap was changed from smooth to ridged and then the "run out" models that were known as SE in this case Special Edition. Not to be confused with the earlier cars that were also SE but in this case they were Special Equipment.

TIP when ordering parts always use your VIN number...

Amazing! Thank you so much for clearing that up. I was doubting myself there.

I think I’d rather have the old tape version!
I think the easiest solution is to fit a Concert I or Chorus I
Put a wanted in the market place. You can sell your Concert II, and probably break even!
Mac

Ref this post, seems it may be possible to get the can signal from the instrument cluster to allow the Concert2 to work in earlier cars
The screenshot in a later post (30) has the details though it will need translating

Cheers Spike

@spike if that method does work does indeed look like a work around without a complete rewire job.?

Can anyone confirm if this method does work? @timmus ?

Last edited:

Likely among the very last. My 51 plate A2, registered September 2001, certainly has CAN-BUS.

Think the date was around March 2001 2002 with possibly a few in the system before and after that date.

Edited 2002 not 2001.

They all have can bus. The radio connected was later.

Last edited:
That’s where it threw me! Mine was manufactured January 2002, and registered in the UK later that same month.

@Jason_e

I believe the Concert II can be wired to be fully functional if you know how, for example Tom(Timmus) could do this for you. I am not an electric man but in essence I think you pick up the needed canbus triggers by taking two jumpers from the canbus pins on the climate unit beneath.

Where about in Oxford are you, I must be quite close?

Andy

@Jason_e

I believe the Concert II can be wired to be fully functional if you know how, for example Tom(Timmus) could do this for you. I am not an electric man but in essence I think you pick up the needed canbus triggers by taking two jumpers from the canbus pins on the climate unit beneath.

Where about in Oxford are you, I must be quite close?

Andy
I’m in Cassington. Just seen your location ? small world

So I managed to get a few Concert stereos to try. All out of A4’s. Funnily enough, too wide. But easily remedied.

Have the code for at least one. Powers up fine, just displays "TELEFON" once you've entered the code. I'm guessing something to do with the muting circuit?

Worth mentioning these new units do not have the "Fakra" type connector (Mine has one of those, and a normal antenna output). They also had a seperate earthing spade, which I couldnt find hidden in my wiring anywhere...

I am getting lost now. To recap it has been established your car originally had a Concert I and some previous owner has swapped that out for a Concert II. The replacement Concert II is working but not fully, eg does not illuminate when lights are on, etc. This is expected since the replacement Concert II is in CONCERT I car, i.e. expected canbus failings. Why are you now trying more A4 Concerts???

Andy

I am getting lost now. To recap it has been established your car originally had a Concert I and some previous owner has swapped that out for a Concert II. The replacement Concert II is working but not fully, eg does not illuminate when lights are on, etc. This is expected since the replacement Concert II is in CONCERT I car, i.e. expected canbus failings. Why are you now trying more A4 Concerts???

Andy

Hi Andy, the A4 Concerts are all Concert 1's, so this is me trying to fit a concert 1 to figure out if I can get that working as it should.

Back