Can I replace a steering rack with G250 with a steering rack that does not need it?

kaarlisk

A2OC Donor
Due to a mistake by the dealer (did not check that my VIN requires an older part), and due to my silllyness not doublecheking them,
I now have a brand new steering rack without fitment for a G250 sensor.

The idea I have is:
instead of returning the rack, and buying one that does fit the sensor,
maybe I can replace the power steering pump with one that does not have the sensor "input"?

It does seem, at least from the TRW catalogue, that their replacement for the pump with input for the sensor is actually without an input.
It does also seem that this may actually be the cheaper option.

Does my idea have any merit, or am I completely bonkers? :)

I do realise it is a bit off to only come to the forum for help, but since I have very little experience with the A2 (it is my girlfriend's), I have not yet had anything to contribute.

Take a look at this Audi self study program (pages 20 -28) as it explains about the original sensor and how it's being replaced. - http://pierro777.free.fr/DOCVAG/ssp240_Audi A2 Technology.pdf

It's a long shot but it may be possible to take the signal from the 'clock spring' steering angle sensor behind the steering wheel as the later models probably do.

Cheers Spike

PS. You could PM our electronics wizard Timmus as he may already know if it's do-able, or even take it on as a special project if he has the time

Last edited:
Take a look at this Audi self study program (pages 20 -28) as it explains about the original sensor and how it's being replaced. - http://pierro777.free.fr/DOCVAG/ssp240_Audi A2 Technology.pdf
Thanks. This shows that the existing pump already is attached to CAN.

It's a long shot but it may be possible to take the signal from the 'clock spring' steering angle sensor behind the steering wheel as the later models probably do.
The newer models simply have the G250 connector blanked off. Apparently, they simply use the G85 signal from CAN. Therefore, unless there is some other component that is "in the middle", it should just be possible to plug the newer pump in, without any other modifications. That is the issue I have, I have no idea whether some other parts are also different (for example, a newer G85 sensor or CAN controller).

In case this is of interest to anyone.

After prowling ETKA for a while, I could not find any change that was simultaneous with the change to rack with no sensor. So even if there was a change, it must have been earlier. I had ABS MK20B, the sensorless rack change happened while MK20B was still being fitted.

So I took the plunge and found a cheap used pump from a car that did not have a rack sensor. And then upon accessing the existing pump discovered that it had at some point been replaced with the newest existing replacement part, 8Z0423156R. So I just take a look at it, unplug the connector from G250, turn the engine on... no faults.

Therefore, I am now happy to report that at least on some cars, it may be possible to fit a rack without a sensor. Word of warning though, I do not know if a rack with a sensor seat it will be accepted as an exchange part for a rack without one.

Hello,

Sorry to lift this thread up. Im having same kind of problem like you @kaarlisk. So I got leaking steering rack and accidentaly got rack without G250 sensor spot from scrapyard car. Is it possible to put this rack to my car which have this G250 sensor? If I understand right, changing the powersteering pump is required to get this compination work without any faults? My cars VIN is: WAUZZZ8ZZ1N001034.

Greetings from Finland,
Antti

Back