CANbus Friendly LED Sidelights.

Providence

A2OC Donor
On my last A2 which was a 2001 model and therefore pre-CANbus, I had some 5W LED sidelights which were much brighter than the tungsten originals and were ideal for my usage. I am a low mileage user and as such on my winter trips, although I take care to warm the car up, I rarely go far enough to have the headlights on in low light conditions without causing too much battery discharge.

I was wondering if anyone out there has fitted some low cost LEDs in a CANbus car (which is 2003 onwards I believe), can vouch for their quality and let me know where to get them.

Side repeaters are fine as LEDs.
indicators need either resistor fitted (defeats the object) or a mod to the flasher unit.
Stop bulbs must not be LED(without resistors)
Because the ABS uses the drain to know that the brake pedal has been pressed.

fog lights and reversing lights are fine with LED bulbs.

LED headlights are not really focussed enough and can blind oncoming traffic so please take care!

Steve B

So Steve, are you saying that the sidelights are NOT CANBus? I have no intention of changing any of the others but find the standard sidelights too dim.

I've changed mine without issue for sidelight for LED without errors. I wouldnt go back to halogen as the standard fitment have very poor illumination.

The only thing to watch out for is radio interference caused by EMF

Yes LED sidelight bulbs will not cause a bulb out error. But if they flicker (as many do) they could be an MOT fail.
Steve B

Hey cheechy, that's exactly what I wanted to know. What's the exact type of Osram that I will need?

In the last car, I used cheap no name Chinese ones and they didn't flicker or cause EMF but they blew more often than tungstens!

Just google Osram LED w5w bulbs you will get a few hits I'd imagine. Different colours available of course but i went for 6k and they were fine - nice and white.

Price around 14 quid so not cheap but far far better than halogen.

Philips LED W5W T10 X-treme Vision.
Using them more than 2 years.
I like 4000k version because color is not so white and looks better with standart h7 halogens and more OEM.

Back