Car engine not starting

a2001

This time it took several attempts and has happened twice in one day, it seems to be happening more and more.

The battery warning light and a light which shows a key and a car shows up too. It starts but the engine kind of stalls.

What is causing this and how do I fix it?

Hi a bit more info would help ie petrol/diesel what cc ---but i read it correctly you say its hard to start and has cut out whilst running?
The battery light will illuminate once the engine has stopped but the key symbol is pointing towards the cat loosing connection to the security chip(transponder) in the key which will cause the engine to idle only i believe. But having the car difficult to start and it cutting out could be crank sensor failing. Im sure a vag com scan (VCDS) will help

Hi a bit more info would help ie petrol/diesel what cc ---but i read it correctly you say its hard to start and has cut out whilst running?
The battery light will illuminate once the engine has stopped but the key symbol is pointing towards the cat loosing connection to the security chip(transponder) in the key which will cause the engine to idle only i believe. But having the car difficult to start and it cutting out could be crank sensor failing. Im sure a vag com scan (VCDS) will help

Thanks for your reply. It is a 2001 petrol 1390cc and the last time it happened, I held the key in the start position and it was making the classic 'car not starting noise's and then it beeped and the oil warning showed up.

Check the earth point behind the left hand headlamp---take it off you will find it easiest by removing the head lamp(only two bolts and one connector) the bolt will have a washer and once removed it will probably be black and eroded away so replace and clean the surfaces.
cheers mike

If your engine only runs for a few seconds after starting and the 'key and car' symbol shows on the dash display, as mine did recently, it would point to the immobiliser not recognising the transponder in the key fob. Tom (Timmus) resolved the issue for me by installing a replacement instrument cluster - the immobiliser is in there. In the meantime, it'd be well worth trying Mike's suggestion of cleaning the earth point. Good luck.

Hello,

When starting your car, don't be in such a rush. Put the key in the ingition and turn it to the point where the immobiliser light comes on (the orange car and key lamp). This lamp tells a story.
If the lamp flashes, before you try and start the car, you have an issue with your cluster or the key fob (the transponder for the immobiliser lives in the key fob.
If the lamp goes out after a few seconds and doesn't flash, then the immobiliser should be fine.

You could do with a scan of your car, which might highlight issues

You don't say how long you've owned the car, or if there has been any work carried out recently, and if the car has been fine and only just started giving this issue, so perhaps you could detail a little more.

Last thing for me on this post - it's not worth keeping the key turned for such a long time when trying to fire up an engine. If the car hasn't started after 5 seconds, stop. Wait for 10 seconds and then try again for another 5 seconds. The longer you keep the starter cranking the engine the hotter the main power looms will be getting, and if you have corrosion on earthing points you stand a chance of looms catching fire and causing untold damage.

Cheers
Jeff

Back