Car Jack

ijedgar

A2OC Donor
I missed all of the posts regarding the jack supplied with the car being not quite up to the job.
I used mine for the first time in about 10 years of A2 ownership and was appalled at just how bad it is.
It will certainly never be used again,I managed to borrow a trolley jack to change all the wheels to my new pepperpots.
Can anyone recommend a good quality,reliable and reasonably priced trolley jack considering the fact that it will only be used rarely.
Quite a lot of these cheaper chinese jobs seem to burst their seals quite readily.

If you own a 1.2Tdi and want to work under the car, you are forced to use the Audi jack because there is only one place to position an axle stand: the jacking point. As long as you chock the rear wheel on the opposite side, the Audi jack is quite safe; just don't rely on the handbrake.

RAB

I chocked the wheels,handbrake on,in gear and I still did not consider it to be safe enough to continue.
In my opinion the foot is way too small and consequently the jack is inherently unstable unless on dead flat and very solid ground.
Something that you are not likely to encounter when trying to change a flat at the side of the road.
In our old Triumph Heralds we were supplied a scissors jack which I never had a problem with,this seemed to me to be far safer piece of kit.

Just stand the foot of the jack on a decent piece of 3/4” plywood about 6” square. Then you have a nice big footprint on a very strong piece of wood.
Do NOT use a piece of softwood!
Easier to carry around than a trolley jack.

Back