Car not starting. Any help?

Mbzpar

Car has been driving great and starting no problem. Went to gym a couple of hours ago and when I got back to the car everything seemed fine until I turned the key!

Everything lit up as it should when I turned key (display said ok) but the car would not even attempt to turnover...just nothing.

Recently cleaned connections for battery and starter motor, has a top of the range Bosch battery that is a year old. Have been back to the car with my second key but am having the same issues. Anyone else experienced this of know what the problem could be? Paul

Most likely the earth behind the passenger headlight, known weak spot. More info here...
When looking for info it's easier to google with a2oc and whatever you are looking for. Onsite search isn't great.

Thanks, did Google A2OC but could not find a similar case. Check strap was cleaned a few weeks back when I removed headlights to restore their lenses so less likely to be the cause.

Did you test it? I've had one that looked great though I managed to pull the crimped end off with fairly little force.

Mine did the same to me recently on the forecourt of Sainsbury's filling station ! It was the starter earth behind the nearside headlamp. Cleaned up that earth and the one at the bottom of the frame holding the ABS block and its been great ever since, radio better too, must be getting full power now !

Back at the car now. Still nothing. Cannot hear the starter motor turning over and no sound of the engine trying to engage still.

My full lights dip when I try and turn the ignition. Does this make it a battery issue?

Possibly a fuse or the starter/igntion relay?

Edit: just read the bit about the lights dimming. Won't be the fuse...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
May be worth connecting the spare /jumper battery under the bonnet. Negative to some clean metal and positive to the starter motor(assuming you can get to the terminal (should be covered). It still sounds like a bad earth to me.

May be worth connecting the spare /jumper battery under the bonnet. Negative to some clean metal and positive to the starter motor(assuming you can get to the terminal (should be covered). It still sounds like a bad earth to me.
Beat me to it

Or rock the car in gear but with the handbrake released.
That’s unlikely to assist as the starter motor solenoid is likely not to be engaged meaning the starter pinion will not be meshed with the flywheel. Won't do any harm to try, though if the solenoid is the issue, giving it a hit is likely to be more helpful (hammer was part of my mum's starting procedure for our Renault 12 in the late 70s).

Battery clamps? If those are worn or not fully engaged you can get enough electricity to power lights etc., but this is exceeded by the current demands of the starter motor, so everything blacks out without even a click.

Thanks folks. Tried pushing the car backwards and forwards in gear and also giving the starter motor some encouragement with a metal pole. Sadly nothing. Tried earthing the starter motor to the car chassis better but my clamps will not get good enough purchase. Will return to car later to clean up battery connections and remove passenger headlight to clean up strap cable connection and pray. My recovery service starts tomorrow otherwise.

Back