Car stuttering while accelerating & driving

Bluesplit

Evening all,

As the title says my 2002 1.4 TDi has started to stutter a lot, whilst accelerating & then while driving its as though there is a blockage somewhere.

Today I went to pull off and same stuttering, then lost all power completely, car kept running in neutral completely normally but when I put my foot down there were no revs at all. Left it 5 minutes, started it and it drove home perfectly fine again???

Any suggestions?? I will hopefully be getting the car plugged in this week to bring up any fault codes

Thanks in advance

Mart

Thanks both, my initial thought was fuel filter, but then the car idles perfectly when in neutral which surely would be effected with a blockage somewhere

Thanks both, my initial thought was fuel filter, but then the car idles perfectly when in neutral which surely would be effected with a blockage somewhere
With a blocked filter you could still get enough fuel supplied to allow it to idle, but it could drop out due to starvation under load. But do also check the injector wiring loom, that would have been my next suggestion.

Thanks again, I have a friend with the means to check for fault codes tomorrow hopefully so will hopefully know where to check first. It has been mentioned to me about the injector looms being a common failure on these engines. I have a new diesel filter ready to go in

Last edited:
Be careful, not all faults prompt codes. Good chance neither the filter nor the injector loom has triggered any codes. When was the filter last changed? Has the injector loom been changed? If not and the car is going in I would BOTH changed.

No injector loom change or filter change to my knowledge, at least certainly not in the last 18 months

Last edited:
I have used these before.

Brilliant thanks, is this a job I could attempt myself or would you advise a garage?

You will need to take the rocker cover off and disconnect a few bit , not a hard job but rocker cover a bit fiddly especially the bolts at the back. Loom is on a big twist connector and a couple of bolts but you have to maneuver the three connectors back into the spine of the loom and squeeze some clips to let it pass back out of the head. If you need it quickly and do not feel confident then get a mechanic to change it and replace the fuel filter at the same time. You will have to check which type of fuel filter you have fitted as I think your car is around about the time the filter assembly was swapped. Clamp off the fuel line from the tank unless you want to drain it all over the floor. Also if your car takes the later filter speak to Paul @depronman about getting one of his upgraded drain screws and fit that if possible. Have a search to see what is involved then decide if it is a job for you. I am purposely not linking to guides so you can search yourself so you will not be biased by anything I point you towards.

Thank you very much, I love working on the mechanicals so would like to give it a go. I have the fuel filter already, it’s the earlier style metal filter that gets removed whole as opposed to the nut & paper filter. I’ll have another search now, if did have a very quick look before I replied to you.

Thanks for your help!!

Ok so I had the scan done & the only thing that might be the problem was ‘Accelerator pedal position sensor’, any idea where I start for this???

From this diagram.

I would say it comes as part of the accelerator pedal, you may be lucky in that it is a loose wire, or it can be taken apart and cleaned. I have never even removed one let alone tried to take one apart. May be worth just getting a replacement from one of our recyclers.

I know throttle body adaptation in VCDS resets the throttle and pedal conditions but not aware of similar on the diesel ( no throttle body ).

Thanks a lot for the replies once again, intake a look when I’m off work and see if it’s easy to remove the pedal, if so see how accessible it is to take apart and clean, failing that I’ll check the classifieds.

Back