CCCU and key fob issues - Jan 2001 A2

laurie18

I am trying to sort out the non functioning central locking on my recently acquired A2 Tdi. The previous owner had the CCCU replaced a couple of years ago and the invoice states that the keys were recoded. I have the old unit which has a Q suffix, I am hoping it was replaced with an AF unit but I have not checked yet. The first thing I wanted to do was replace the housings of the two keys as both are worn and broken. I have watched a load of videos and it seems straight forward. however in the videos the circuit board looks to be held in place by two plastic pegs and the board can be levered off. Mine looks to have metal pegs with flattened tops and the board does not seem like it will come out without breaking. I can carefully grind the tops off the pegs off but wondered if anyone else has needed to do this?

Be very careful when upgrading your keys. They are fragile and soon show marks again. Been a while but the metal pegs may just be pushed into the plastic, so potentially easier to remove.. There is a way where you can just replace the three buttons on the remote. Gives the look of a new fob, cheap and little risk of damaging anything vital. Post a couple of pictures and do a bit more searching, I am sure you will find something about the metal pins. Please unless you know what you are doing do not take the upper half with the key blade apart. It houses the fragile immobiliser chip and is quite easily damaged. You are then in a whole world of pain. You may find the board slips out around the pins.

So far none of the procedures I can find for resynchronising the key fobs have worked. All of the existing batteries and the spares I have are not exactly fresh so I will buy some new ones and try those before looking at other options. Both keys open and start the car without any issues so hopefully it won't be too difficult/expensive to get the remote locking to function?

From my A2 owners manual

"Re-synchronising the remote control

~If the remote control fails to unlock the vehicle, it will be necessary to re-synchronise the system.
- Press one of the buttons on the remote control key.
- Insert the key in the door lock and either lock or unlock the vehicle once.

The re-synchronising process should not take more than 1 minute.

Back