Central locking and power drain - how to open boot?

ibesiano

Hi All

May be a daft question...

I have owned an A2 (52 plate 1.6 FSI) for six days but this morning after a heavy night of rain I put the key in the ignition, the radio came on then all lights all power off. The key fob has activated the doors and boot intermittently so far (OK after a five mile commute) so I have used the key only on a couple of occasions.

Having read through the forums I realise that the power drain could be a number of things but to check these I need a full battery.

My Question is: If the central locking isn't working how do I unlock the boot in order to get the battery out to re-charge?

I have tried pulling the wire hidden beneath the back windscreen but as the boot is locked it is having no effect.
Thanks if you can help
Steve

The emergency boot release overrides the lock. Best pull it carefully though firmly with an assistant to lift the boot at the same time. This is assuming the emergency release cable(plastic) is still connected, they can be pulled off fairly easily.

The emergency release should open the boot even if car was locked. Worked for me few times...Once you pulled the handle, are you sure the boot is not actually unlocked ? Worth double checking as when it unlocks you won't hear any "loud" noise or see any movement, yet is open.

Managed to get my youngest child to assist but couldn't get it open. When I lock the car using the key only the drivers door and the boot are actually locked unfortunately. I'll continue this on original thread.

The emergency boot release overrides the lock. Best pull it carefully though firmly with an assistant to lift the boot at the same time. This is assuming the emergency release cable(plastic) is still connected, they can be pulled off fairly easily.
Hi Damadgeruk - mine seems to pull out about a foot to now avail - should I pull further>

Hi Damadgeruk - mine seems to pull out about a foot to now avail - should I pull further>
It shouldn't pull that far, though you're not going to break anything pulling more. It's almost certainly disconnected so pulling more won't hurt. I'd recommend accessing the battery with the seat down, alternatively, if you are able, charge or connect 12v via the accessory socket which should let you open the boot.

Just a tip from learning the hard way. I notice from your first post you intend to remove the battery when you eventually manage to open the boot. Do not then shut the boot or you will be in a worse position!!! Either leave it open or if raining rest the boot on something to stop it shutting and latching.

Andy

Thanks Edwrai

Update Sunday. Car was blocked in on street so I woke some neighbours to help me push it back up the hill, roll away from pavement and down to my drive. I put the keys into the ignition to make sure I could steer and all lights on and car started first time. So... fault is intermittent! I am going to grease the catches on the front service tray and the boot as they are very dry which may explain my difficulty opening - but not the powercut!

Back