Central (un)locking

Hi. Here's one which I'm sure someone has had before and it applies to BOTH remote key fobs so although I will replace the batteries in both, I doubt if that's the problem. Also the car (1.4 SE petrol) has a brand new battery as of a few months ago. First thing in the morning the car doesn't recognise the key fob unlock command. The central unlocking still works perfectly using the key into the lock. Go to (say) the supermarket, park the car and the central locking locks using the fob. Do your shopping. Nine times out of ten (but not always) the car unlocks using the fob. Park the car back at home and it locks using the fob. Next day, repeat.... etc. Could it be sensitive to the cold as this has only been happening the last month or so? (This didn't happen last winter). Thanks in advance.

It's an 02 reg Tom. Cheers, Steve
OK, thanks. It's a strong possibility that your A2 uses the early generation of CCCU, which could be dying a slow death. However, the behaviour you describe can also arise from weak batteries in the fobs, so I'd change those first. If the problem isn't resolved, you may need to look at CCCU repair or replacement.

Cheers,

Tom

OK, thanks. It's a strong possibility that your A2 uses the early generation of CCCU, which could be dying a slow death. However, the behaviour you describe can also arise from weak batteries in the fobs, so I'd change those first. If the problem isn't resolved, you may need to look at CCCU repair or replacement.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom. CCCU = computer? Or central locking control?

cccu = central comfort control unit. Deals with the signals from the fobs. Also does lots of other jobs. It's under the floor on the left hand side of the car looking forward, in front of the seat.

- Bret

cccu = central comfort control unit. Deals with the signals from the fobs. Also does lots of other jobs. It's under the floor on the left hand side of the car looking forward, in front of the seat.

- Bret

Thanks Bret. In your experience is it sensitive to the cold?

No. Mine works still at -30C, but then again it's not failing... if there's a dry solder joint somewhere, or cracks, they will get worse (i.e. the pins get smaller so the relative hole gets bigger) as it gets colder.

- Bret

It's certainly feasible that both fob batteries die at the same time, particularly if they were replaced together last time.

When buying new batteries, always buy a major brand, and from a source that has a good turnover of stock. And get one of the fobs changed over, and fully synced to the car, before moving on to the other one.

Let's hope new batteries get you sorted.

It's certainly feasible that both fob batteries die at the same time, particularly if they were replaced together last time.

When buying new batteries, always buy a major brand, and from a source that has a good turnover of stock. And get one of the fobs changed over, and fully synced to the car, before moving on to the other one.

Let's hope new batteries get you sorted.

Thanks, agree that it could be both batteries dying together for the reason you've said. It also occurred to me that replacing fob battery might require re-syncing but I hadn't got as far as to investigate that yet. So you're confirming that a re-sync is necessary, right? I'm guessing that there's a thread on here showing how to do that?

Thanks, agree that it could be both batteries dying together for the reason you've said. It also occurred to me that replacing fob battery might require re-syncing but I hadn't got as far as to investigate that yet. So you're confirming that a re-sync is necessary, right? I'm guessing that there's a thread on here showing how to do that?
Lots of them! Here's the most recent one:

Back