Centre Cap Refurbishment

zarona

There are a few threads about the centre caps, and I believe the A2 SE 6 Spoke ones are specific to that wheel!
Mine have the usual 'corrosion of the outer trim ring. On looking at the cap this trim is a separate part, and is held in place by 3 fold-down tabs, but I cannot see how the trim is removed from over the outer edge of the main cap as it is wrapped over it!
Does anyone know how these can be removed intact?
My plan was to refurb them separately as the cap centre is in good condition.
Many thanks,
Peter

I think that as the trim is aluminium that the tabs will most probably brake off or crack when you try to loosen their grip as they are very thin, you may be better trying to remove the failed lacquer & then polish out the corrosion in situ before relacquering.

Tapatalk

What worked for me is some curved masking tape. Just put it right around the edge of the central bit, then use regular masking tape for the rest of it. It also helps protect the centre when you sand the edge down.

I was thinking the best way to refurbishing the trim was to take it off, so carefully bent back the tabs you would think then to enable the removal of the trim from the centre section.
But I cannot see how the trim comes away from the centre as its edge is wrapped around it! I was hoping someone knows of a cunning way to separate the two.
Or alternatively maybe the trim edge has been pressed around the centre after being placed over the centre!?
I was not sure what the trim material was, I did not realise it was aluminium! Do you think it is just has a lacquer finish and not painted first?
Cheers,
Peter

I just replied to kp115 to see if anyone knows how to remove the trim from the edge!
If this turns out not to be possible, I will have to resort to your taping method!
Cheers
Peter

An old thread I know but thought I'd update it the trim is removable bend up the flaps get a flat head screwdriver and work along the edge priying it up, after half way around it's you can pull it off. The paint underneath is the same colour and finish as the inner part. I was looking for new centres but this is fine for now.

A picture after

Attachments

• IMG_20200104_210237.jpg
    IMG_20200104_210237.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 564
Hi All,

I thought I'd add yet another update to this thread.

Further to @ashley7715 's comment I'd like to second that it is possible to remove the aluminium outer ring. Unlike Ashley, I wasn't satisfied with the painted underside (or the £200 for some new ones) and wanted to see if it was possible to refurbish them. Happy to say that with a bit of effort it is!

I'll describe my process in the hope of helping/inspiring someone to have a go.

Removal:

On the rear of the cap do the following:
  • Use a flat-head screwdriver to gently prize the three tabs straight. They can be brittle so do so carefully as they can snap off.
  • Use the same flat-head screwdriver to lift the aluminium ring from the plastic edge. The most difficult part is starting it. Using a screwdriver with a sharp edge makes this easier.
  • Lift the entire circumference of the aluminium rim off of the plastic. This makes it easier to get it back on again later.
  • It's difficult to describe the technique I used to accomplish this, I went in at an angle and twisted the flat-head up against the rim. Have a play and you'll find something that works.

• Remove the cap. It takes some more gentle manoeuvring of the three tabs as they easily get caught on the slots. Be patient and it'll eventually come off.

Refurbish:

The first thing to do is remove the corrosion along with the plastic coating. Although this has come off in places, partially or completely, (and caused the corrosion in doing so) the areas that it is still attached are attached well and it is difficult to remove. Whilst the technique I used is not perfect in removing this, it is possible to do it by spending just a few pounds and without requiring special equipment. (A dremel would make it much easier, though).
  • Use 60 grit sand paper and 'give it hell'. Good job to do after an argument with the missus or watching the cricket or anything else that gets you annoyed really. Watching the news? The new highway code? I don't judge, choose your own posion. It'll take a while, longer for those bits that actually look better - I thought about leaving them but it just doesn't look right - and if a job is worth doing it's worth doing properly!
  • Be careful when holding it not to bend the aluminium. It's good quality but it's still aluminium.
  • Work your way up through finer sand paper to achieve a smooth finish. I used 80, 120, 180, 240, and 320. I then used 400, 600, 800 and, (finally!) 1200 wet and dry to finish it. I'm sure you can skip a few stages here should you wish.
  • I then used autosol to polish it up. I gave them three doses to really get them shining but after two they looked great.
  • You can then use a clear lacquer over the top to protect them. I chose not to as I thought it far easier just to give them a quick polish every now and then rather than have to b****r about taking the lacquer off when it eventually starts peeling.
I should note, I did try cheating and painting them with a chrome effect paint but they didn't look as good as the polished ones and it took a lot of time waiting for the paint to dry etc.

Refitting:

This is the fun bit.
  • Press the rim back onto the cap. The three tabs are quite fiddly once again but with perseverance they eventually pop on.
  • Press the plastic cap down onto the rim to ensure a tight fit and bend the three tabs to hold the rim to the cap.
  • Use a small hammer - the smaller the better - to gently bend the rim of the rim back onto the plastic. It will not be as smooth as it was when you took it off but you won't be able to see it. And, after all, "what the eyes don't see the heart doesn't grieve".
  • Turn it over and reveal your finished cap!

Whilst the rim is off the plastic cap it's a great time to give it a good wash. I used a bit of polish to shine it up.

I'll upload some pictures in the morning to show before and after. I think they look great. And a lot cheaper than the £200 the robbing ******** at Audi try to charge. (I'm meant to do the robbing!).

Last edited:
Well done you! Looking forward to the photos ? :)

The Audi rings just press out from the back with the corner of a screwdriver blade against the tab. That's much, much easier than what you've just done!

Well done you! Looking forward to the photos ? :)

The Audi rings just press out from the back with the corner of a screwdriver blade against the tab. That's much, much easier than what you've just done!
I thought maybe this was the way to go. I didn't know how brittle the plastic would be though and thought should they break they would be difficult to replace. I'll maybe have a go. Although I have just bought some Pepper Pots so it may take a while for me to muster the motivation.

Back