Centre to rear exhaust sleeve clamp corroded away

handyman

This has been an advisory on my last two MOT,it has been sorn for last two years. MOT now booked.is this likely to be a failure and how much should it cost(approx) to repair.

Regards Alex

Depends what the individual tester thinks.

Should cost about £25 in my opinion - assuming the rusted one can be removed quickly!

If its a clamp holding two separate sections of exhaust together then it's not an original exhaust, and how much work will be required will depend on the state of the tubing under the clamp.

Our original exhaust had a clamp holding the front section to the rear, a new one was £10 and we fitted it ourselves.

I can't comment on the petrol models but the tdi,s seem to last well....both mine have been original from new. The hook welds are more prone to breaking rather than the back box as a whole.

Can’t imagine there are many A2’s still with the original factory back box?
I replaced my original exhaust on a 1.4 petrol A2 at 17 years old; I could have stuck with the old exhaust for a while longer if I'd been so minded.
Replacement boxes, even the Audi parts, don't seem to offer the longevity of the originals.

(Sadly I can remember the times when exhausts used to last about 2 years - even on VW group cars.)

That's because now there is very little sulphur in fuel, meaning next to zero acid in the condensate. If you travel long enough distances to warm the exhaust, there won't be much water left in the exhaust to corrode it - corrosion can't occur without liquid water. 3L's have stainless exhausts because this allows thinner material and therefore saves weight.

RAB

12 years ago I bought a stainless steel exhaust (back box) at a good price when a dealer advertised them on this site as he had ordered them by mistake. Been siting on the shelf since then. I've a 15 year old TDi 75

A2 has only done 86K and last time I looked the box looked fine. By the time I use the SS box the good deal would have been reduced to zero through inflation!

Back