Checklist for replacing Head Unit.

Mark Morb

Hi,

I've had my A2 for nearly a week and I'm loving it.
Not too impressed with the Stereo and I want one with USB/iPod support so I'm going to fit another Headunit.

It's an '04 1.4SE and as far as I can tell it's a standard CD unit, nothing to say it's BOSE or anything like that...

From a quick look on here and google it looks like I will need the following:

Audi Headunit Removal Keys
Fascia Adaptor: Autoleads FP 05 04
ISO Harness: Autoleads PC9 404
Aerial Booster: Autoleads PC5 52

Does that sound right to you guys?

Thanks,
Mark

Yes Mark, that's pretty much spot on.

However, why not fit a Dension Gateway 300, which will give you all the USB/iPod/auxilliary inputs you want and still keep the factory look. An added bonus is that you'll get all the info in your DIS if you have the full version fitted.

It'll be cheaper too and less of a temptation to thieves, as it'll be all hidden

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the Reply Mike..

I did consider going down that route but I'm not that impressed with the sound quality from the factory fit unit and I know I can get a much better sound for a couple of hundred quid...
My car doesn't have the full DIS either (this came as quite a suprise as every car I've had for the last 10 years has had a trip computer as standard, even my Fiat Panda!! so I was suprised to see that all I can get is the outside temp and warning/check messages)

I'm a bit more confused now though as I see there are two harness adaptors, PC9-404 and PC9-401, I just know that I will order the wrong one!!!

Mark

Autoleads 401 / 404

I've looked through a lot of threads and Autoleads site and am still a few pence short of a shillin. If folk have not tired of all these aftermarket compatibility issues, I am hoping that someone might advise:

I bought PC9-404 for Alpine installation for my 2001 TDi with original 'Symphony' (Symphony 1?) as that seemed favoured. It works, but neglible sound from rear speakers and memory loss on turning off ignition.

I guess it may mean that the rear speakers are no independantly amplified. (does this mean they are active or not active?):confused:

Do I need PC9-401?

Pete

Last edited:
Hi,

I've had my A2 for nearly a week and I'm loving it.
Not too impressed with the Stereo and I want one with USB/iPod support so I'm going to fit another Headunit.

It's an '04 1.4SE and as far as I can tell it's a standard CD unit, nothing to say it's BOSE or anything like that...

From a quick look on here and google it looks like I will need the following:

Audi Headunit Removal Keys
Fascia Adaptor: Autoleads FP 05 04
ISO Harness: Autoleads PC9 404
Aerial Booster: Autoleads PC5 52

Does that sound right to you guys?

Thanks,
Mark

Hey, remind me why we need the PC5 52 aerial boost?
I have a blue wire for amplifier power from ignition already on PC9 404 loom.
Thanks

Thanks for the Reply Mike..

I did consider going down that route but I'm not that impressed with the sound quality from the factory fit unit and I know I can get a much better sound for a couple of hundred quid...
My car doesn't have the full DIS either (this came as quite a suprise as every car I've had for the last 10 years has had a trip computer as standard, even my Fiat Panda!! so I was suprised to see that all I can get is the outside temp and warning/check messages)

I'm a bit more confused now though as I see there are two harness adaptors, PC9-404 and PC9-401, I just know that I will order the wrong one!!!

Mark

" I can get a much better sound for a couple of hundred quid... "

Why not to buy a complete Bose for around £350.00 on eBay???

Evening,

You may not get a reply from the member you quoted in your post above. Member Mark Morb was last on here in 2010. This seems to be a thread revival from 2009.

Kind regards,

Tom

Is it possible to just replace the standard speakers for some Bose ones from other Audi?
And would hey sound any better?

Is it possible to just replace the standard speakers for some Bose ones from other Audi?
And would hey sound any better?

As far as I understand music as such you need Bose speakers AND that Bose amplifier or whatever it is.
Music is created there and speakers just play that what came to them from amplifier.

It is exactly the same when someone buys Grado headphones for £700.00 and listens them from £150.00
stereo from Argos.

I had had standard Audi audio on my first 1.4 A2. Then I changed for 1.6Fsi with Bose. The difference is
like between ground and sky.

Thoroughly recommend!!!

The Bose speakers are of different impedance and therefore should not be used with the standard system.

Ian

Hey, remind me why we need the PC5 52 aerial boost?
I have a blue wire for amplifier power from ignition already on PC9 404 loom.
Thanks

RAB

RAB
Many thanks. It did occur to me that the radio aerial was incorporated into the body shell somehow but not that it was amplified. Must admit, I did not think that fitting an aftermarket stereo would be quite so tricky.
Might seem obvious but just so I'm sure - the blue wire on the antenna adapter needs a ignition (on) supply to power the amp module in back?

Ideally, that blue wire should be connected to a switched 12 volts out of the radio, so that the antenna amp is powered whenever the radio is on, which can be when the ignition is switched off.
Mac.

Many thanks. It did occur to me that the radio aerial was incorporated into the body shell somehow but not that it was amplified. Must admit, I did not think that fitting an aftermarket stereo would be quite so tricky.
Might seem obvious but just so I'm sure - the blue wire on the antenna adapter needs a ignition (on) supply to power the amp module in back?
You should have a switched 12v aerial supply from the aftermarket radio for the adaptor. I'm not sure there is an ignition-switched supply from the A2. I have to switch my A2 aftermarket radio on/off manually.

RAB

On Adams 2003 A2 there was no ignition supply as the original Audi stereo used the canbus and not a switched ignition supply. We had to run a supply from the ignition fuse to get this working. This is from memory though and it was two years ago...!

Evening,

You may not get a reply from the member you quoted in your post above. Member Mark Morb was last on here in 2010. This seems to be a thread revival from 2009.

Kind regards,

Tom
Hey. You know I did notice the antiquity of the post I was replying to with a question. It seems I may have been the one responsible for reviving this post and dragging it out of archive status. I guess the issues still exist even if 'Mark Mob' may have moved on........thanks Tom

Today I sorted the wiring for the Sony head unit, I found the red wire with grey-white line is the permanent live in the power block & I ran a fused spur from the fuse box to act as an ignition live. You will need to swap a few wires in the Sony loom so you gets the correct wires off the main harness. This should be the same if you’re replacing the concert unit on a 2004 model.

On the sony units :
Yellow is iginition live.(NEEDS FEED FROM FUSE BOX OR OTHER SOURCE)
Red is permant live.

Attachments

• 125374156_10224942321964155_5256401928136065744_o.jpg
    125374156_10224942321964155_5256401928136065744_o.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 197
Back