Classic Car insurance for the A2

Stevieb

With many thinking that the A2 has reached classic car status.
Has anyone been able to arrange this low cost option for low mileage cars ?

Have been thinking about this as I already have classic insurance for my 2CV ; the agreed valuation aspect is attractive as the amount invested in the vehicle becomes increasingly unrelated to the book value. I have a renewal coming up in just over a month so will investigate.

Classic car insurance is for cars over 15 years old and low yearly mileage I had my golf mk4 on classic insurance.

HMRC see classics cars as being over 15 years old and worth more than 15k by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity are there many out there insured with Aviva. I have and have found the premiums better than the price comparison websites (Aviva are not on comparison sites). If you are an existing Aviva car insurance customer due for renewal shortly, download the ‘Aviva Drive App’, you track your journeys for 200 miles, the app generates a score to which Aviva will apply a tiered discount based on the score.

The max possible discount is 28% and I’m currently running the app, last year I got an £80 discount and am striving for a higher score and a better discount this year.

There are terms and conditions so if it’s relevant then we’ll worth doing.

With so many A2 owners cherishing their cars together with driving sedately to achieve mega high mpg’s, I can imagine there are discounts to be had.

I have no allegiance to Aviva however want cheap car insurance (I always compare) with good service resulting in me staying with them year on year.

Few years to go before we are worth 15k singularly. Together of course we are priceless. ❤️
My policy is for 3k a year and a value of 8500 however I know I wouldn't achieve this if the worst happened. For my circumstances and South West Scotland post code my renewal is 180 quid. I need to update the quote as I'm using the car more and drove 5k last year plus I'm no longer garaged.
The potential for access to the classic car insurance market would be attractive to many of us I'm sure. However the 15k threshold seems a long way off if that is a criteria for access ?

Just out of curiosity are there many out there insured with Aviva. I have and have found the premiums better than the price comparison websites (Aviva are not on comparison sites). If you are an existing Aviva car insurance customer due for renewal shortly, download the ‘Aviva Drive App’, you track your journeys for 200 miles, the app generates a score to which Aviva will apply a tiered discount based on the score.

The max possible discount is 28% and I’m currently running the app, last year I got an £80 discount and am striving for a higher score and a better discount this year.

There are terms and conditions so if it’s relevant then we’ll worth doing.

With so many A2 owners cherishing their cars together with driving sedately to achieve mega high mpg’s, I can imagine there are discounts to be had.

I have no allegiance to Aviva however want cheap car insurance (I always compare) with good service resulting in me staying with them year on year.
Aviva i s I can’t agree more we have multi car policy’s with them ...4 cars ..we transferred from a trade policy years ago and we have 4 lots of full no claims with them £726 all in ..I can’t recommend them highly enough and I run a separate a separate car policy with general accident for the Porsche 911 turbo limited 5k a year £340 with agreed valuation ..and 1k excess ..motorcycles carol nash .

Currently with LV via Boundless Car Club which for £25 offers legal cover and access to their holiday cottages etc in Bourton on the Water next door to their Classic Car Museum.
An extra 5 per cent discount on top of the LV multiple car discount is useful.
Mostly used by boring civil servants like me who park on government car parks ie less risk of damage and hopefully fraudulent claims.
Well rated in Which and I've been impressed with their claims service.
They offer Classic Car insurance too. Will try up switch in April.

Cheers

Steve B

Aviva i s I can’t agree more we have multi car policy’s with them ...4 cars ..we transferred from a trade policy years ago and we have 4 lots of full no claims with them £726 all in ..I can’t recommend them highly enough and I run a separate a separate car policy with general accident for the Porsche 911 turbo limited 5k a year £340 with agreed valuation ..and 1k excess ..motorcycles carol nash .
Have you done the drive app yet, I found it the best value insurer for them to then further discount. It’s a win-win.

There is no stipulation on a cars value for it to be a classic it goes on how old and at the whim of the insurance company. I know this from dealing with them over the years. It used to be accepted and what i always thought that a car had to be 15 years old to qualify so i made personal plans to that affect only to be told by insurers that they didn't recognise our 2.8 80 Fe Cabriolet until ti was 20 years old yet have been able to get classic insurance on the 2.8 80 Avant when it hit 15. If anyone is able to get classic insurance on an A2 do let us know, but i suspect as has been the case for me anyway on the cabriolet it will need to be 20 years old.

Think my A2 may just qualify except on the value.
Which company did you use ?

Cheers,

Lancanster insurance I’m sure they would insure the a2 as they Insured my golf v6 4motion which was a Y reg 4 years ago.

Lancanster insurance I’m sure they would insure the a2 as they Insured my golf v6 4motion which was a Y reg 4 years ago.

V6 4 Motion brings back great memories. I had a 52 plate in 2005. Diamond black with cream leather. Loved it - although too thirsty for my commute at average of 25mpg. I traded it reluctantly after 6 months for a very pretty but decidedly pedestrian A4 Avant ?

V6 4 Motion brings back great memories. I had a 52 plate in 2005. Diamond black with cream leather. Loved it - although too thirsty for my commute at average of 25mpg. I traded it reluctantly after 6 months for a very pretty but decidedly pedestrian A4 Avant

I drove it for 7 years it was my first car and did 120k in it! Currently with my friend and it’s still going. Has every option under the sun and electric heated memory seats, averaged 32mpg over 20k using Fuelly.

Problem is that many of our A2s are non-standard in some way, whether wheels/tyres, remapping, or other factors; all of which would have to be disclosed, and anything non-standard is an instant "no" from most insurers.

Problem is that many of our A2s are non-standard in some way, whether wheels/tyres, remapping, or other factors; all of which would have to be disclosed, and anything non-standard is an instant "no" from most insurers.

I told my insurer I changed the engine for one out of a different car an engine code not available with this vehicle and my premium didn’t change!

I’ve been using Adrian Flux for a few years. They are a broker but seemed quite happy with non-standard and unusual vehicle. Got the best quote for a VW camper as well as my A2 and my wife’s Smart Fortwo.

When I told them about my TT alloys, non standard tyre size, engine remap, vortex kit and A2OC badges there was no change to my premium (although she had to check about the badges)...

good morning

I have for many years , used Adrian flux for insuring my bikes and cars
they have agreed value insurance, which bolts onto the back of the normal policy and pays out the “Agreed value ” in the event of a total loss , or repairs upto the agreed value
this was tested earlier this year , when my car rolled down a hill smashing into the back of the wife car
the wife got a loan car , within 4 hours , and I received a payout within 7 days, after a bit wangle on the value of the salvage amount for the car
cost wise , about 40 quid more a year , value wise huge in my case

The agreed value insurance was my main priority after a couple of bad experiences with insurance companies paying peanuts for cars because that was ‘market value’ ie. they could buy one for the price they offered (service history and standard of care didn’t count - only mileage and age).

I found Adrian Flux to be helpful. And the agreed value on my A2 was £3500 last year. Still need to refit my Votex kit and resubmit this year.

I found Admiral are ok with my non standard alloys and stainless steel exhaust. Mine is about £300 a year multi car policy with fully comp for the FSI and Third party, Fire and Theft for my 1.4

Back