code reader

VCDS gives more information and allows others to help diagnose faults when you post the scan results here.

Any OBDII scanner will work, BUT they give little to no information in some cases other than a fault code. The 2 best evn first things to buy for an A2 are a good scanner - preferably VCDS and a good electrical test meter. Many faults are electrical and you will save both money and time by having both tools.

You have been sent a message. Look at the top line and to the right of your name is an envelope icon it will now have a red number on it. Click on it to open it.

A word of warning for those less skilled diagnostics wise, VCDS is a professional tool and if used incorrectly can possibly result in damage to your car, before possible purchase check Ross Tech's website to see if it suits your needs and you feel confident to use it...........A simple OBD2 fault code reader will suffice in most case's for simple code reading of engine/emission problems, together with the know how here most problems can be fixed simply and quickly.
There are members who have VCDS and are well versed in its use, I'm sure someone would be happy to help if your problem is outside the scope of a simple fault code reader

I always thought VCDS was software.. and maybe OBD2 the hardware.. ? ?
VCDS is a tool and software that goes with it.... a special cable that plugs into your OBD plug under the dash and then connected to a laptop/PC running VCDS software. Its very powerful and can enable lots of adjustments to systems on the car, also it can "code" electronic units fitted to the car as either factory fitted or retrofitted

Any tool if used incorrectly can cause damage. The advantage of VCDS IS its power. Users can just use it to scan and never use more than that. Those scan results are far more detailed than the generic codes that more basic scanners cost. Yes it is more expensive, but at the cost of a decent aftermarket head unit, you will get far more use from VCDS. The resale value is also far more than a second hand head unit. Not picking on head units just pointing out relative value to other items owners tend to fit to their A2.

VCDS demands a laptop and an internet connection in the mean time. It's also the better part of €300 IIRC. You'll get the same level of detail from a licensed version of VCDS-Lite for a lot less, never mind Carport or Torque. They'll all report the P-numbers which is the only bit you need when dealing with engine light issues. Readiness should also be included, which means a throttle body reset should also be possible... but basic settings are where it starts to get more complex and the hand-held readers stop being easy to use. And throttle body resets are a "basic setting". You pays your money and makes your choice.

OBD2 --> On Board Diagnostics v2. All cars after 2000 or so *must* have this. It's essentially a standardized set of error messages from the engine electronics, including fuel and exhaust systems. The messages are defined but their interpretation is another question.

There are various threads covering this and the possibilities; https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/compatible-fault-code-scanners.37622/, https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/obdeleven-standard-pro.39433/ and https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/abbreviation-overview-for-neophytes-newbies.39907/

My opinion is covered in the above threads.

- Bret

VCDS Lite is free to use, won't damage your car, will give you error codes that are fully supported and widely understood. Online searches, using VCDS codes, especially the Rosstech wiki, will save pointless and expensive "suck it and see" parts replacement. Don't be put off by the doomsters, spend under £10 on an ebay lead, and you're good to go. The only caution being you must be able to install and configure the software on a laptop. The laptop does not need to anything special, mine's an 8 year old netbook. If your comfortable with this, it's the most useful tool in the box, it tells you what to do with the rest of the tools.
I've used it in anger twice, on my TT, both times it told me exactly what was wrong (coil pack & brake pressure sensor).
I agree, a registered copy has a risk, but you would spend £75 (cheapest option) upwards unless you knew what you were doing, wouldn't you? Mac.

VCDS Lite is free to use,

Not if you want an Automatic full scan it's not. Which, to be honest, most newbies will need.

won't damage your car,
... because you can't change anything....

will give you error codes that are fully supported and widely understood. Online searches, using VCDS codes, especially the
Rosstech wiki, will save pointless and expensive "suck it and see" parts replacement. Don't be put off by the doomsters, spend under £10 on an ebay lead, and you're good to go.
which may or may not work. The cheap chinese Junk on Ebay is frequently that and though the software implementation has got better over the last few years, there can be issues with cheaper stuff. Autodia and others offer a nicer experience, especially if this...
The only caution being you must be able to install and configure the software on a laptop. The laptop does not need to anything special, mine's an 8 year old netbook.
... is not your cup of tea.

If your comfortable with this, it's the most useful tool in the box, it tells you what to do with the rest of the tools.
I've used it in anger twice, on my TT, both times it told me exactly what was wrong (coil pack & brake pressure sensor).
I agree, a registered copy has a risk, but you would spend £75 (cheapest option) upwards unless you knew what you were doing, wouldn't you? Mac.
Let's get this straight.. I'll pull this straight from Ross-tech, the vendors of VCDS and VCDS Lite:

Free Shareware:

Cannot do AutoScan
Won't display text for all fault codes
No Basic Settings (so no TBA, Xenon leveling, etc or checking timing on TDI's)
No Adaptation Saving (so no changing of locking/lights/horn behavior)
No Output Tests
No tech support from Ross-Tech
Limitations of VCDS-Lite compared to VCDS even if Fully Registered:
No Generic OBD-II
Won't work with CAN-Bus vehicles
Fewer fault code definitions and label files
No built-in Activation (you'll be limited to a single PC)
No Advanced Measuring Blocks
No Acceleration Measurement
Refer to our VCDS Function Chart for more details

We do not sell interfaces for VCDS-Lite.

If you're considering VCDS-Lite, then you obviously have a very limited budget for tools an we can't compete on price with Chinese eBay sellers. When choosing an interface for VCDS-Lite, we recommend getting one that's based on an FTDI FT232 Chip. They almost always work well if you manually configure the virtual COM port into an unused port in the range of COM1 - COM4 and set the latency timer to 2, as shown here.

So the freeware / shareware version doesn't do autoscan, and you can't do basic setting without registering (which will cost you $99 if I read correctly). You should still get the P-codes for the errors, but no explanations.
The limitations of Lite aren't too bad for the A2 - but if you want to work with mutliple cars, something else is the way to go.

- Bret

It (VCDS Lite) has worked for me. Yes, it has limitations, but so have I. My KKL cable, around £7.50, works fine. Is the free Lite version fully featured? Obviously not. Is the free Lite version better than guesswork?
Absolutely.
Will it save you money, time and trouble? Very likely. Why go on about the limitations, while ignoring the things it can do?
Have you actually installed and used VCDS Lite? Many owners of A2s, Mk1 A3s, and Mk1 TTs have, and have found it very useful. Mac.

PS : The Auto Scan button on the Lite version works, just scans a limited number of blocks (ie : not a Full Auto Scan, as Rosstech say). All useful info though. Mac.

Back