Coil spring change - what's the difference between all of them?

3dB

My A2 both front coil springs have gone bad - break in same place both sides. Checked catalog for part number and found 16!!!! different part numbers of coiled springs. Wtf? o_O What's the difference between them?

By checking paint marks on broken spring, equipment codes by VIN number and parts catalog I have now springs with code 6Q0411105AD on car. Funny thing is all part sellers identify it as Seat coil spring. ?

My A2 both front coil springs have gone bad - break in same place both sides. Checked catalog for part number and found 16!!!! different part numbers of coiled springs. Wtf? o_O What's the difference between them?

By checking paint marks on broken spring, equipment codes by VIN number and parts catalog I have now springs with code 6Q0411105AD on car. Funny thing is all part sellers identify it as Seat coil spring. ?
In theory the springs are matched to the weight of the car, for example the 1.4 petrol engine is much lighter than the heavier 1.4 diesel engine and requires less stiff springs. Other weight factors come into play, the OSS is far heavier than normal aluminium roof, leather seats heavier than cloth and so on, in fact every A2 sits in a weight class. I have seen it suggested that a change in Audi's choice of spring manufacturer generates a new set of coloured dots to differentiate.

To see reference to Seat springs does not surprise me, many A2 parts are common to other models in the VAG group, but I would have expected Polo. I would double check with several spring suppliers. I suppose you could try asking your local Audi if the existing dot code is correct for your A2.

Andy

Last edited:
The commonality of parts codes ie, 6Q, 6N, 8Z springs reflects the fact that there were several small VAG cars built with common suspension parts in overlapping weight bands back then - ie Fabia, Polo, A2, presumably Ibiza, various small commercial VAG vehicles etc. A2 3L also had considerable overlap with Lupo 3L and presumably Arosa of the same era in a lot of components. Depending on whether 1.4 petrol, 1.4 diesel, 1.9SDi etc engines and other options fitted, different springs were chosen to match the weight requirements - so not entirely surprising you have spring codes that now map to a Seat rather than something more obvious. Within the UK, TPS should be able to get you the exact replacement based on the 6Q code - but it is likely that this may be expensive. There are probably suitable aftermarket replacements, but I couldn't tell you which is required without a lot more information and perhaps some measurements from your existing broken springs to give some guidance.

Is the 6QxxxxAD spring you have on a 1.4tdi?

Interestingly I've just found the AD front spring in my data file - it appears to match a Spidan spring with code 56634, 357mm high and low to medium approximate spring rate (164 ; 1.4i SE calculated spring rate 149 ; sport Tdi around 198 to 220) if this makes any sense?

Yes, AD is the broken ones on car. Part number mached by paint marks in catalog and cars equipment codes. I already ordered same code Kilen coil springs as replacements, they will arrive tomorrow. Kilen part number 23527. Have not decided yet to do the change job myself or go to garage to do it for me.

Back