Concert 2 in late 2001 model

sraka1

Hi everyone,

first time poster, new A2 owner. Well, technically, my better half is the owner, but it looks like I'll be using it more, since I work-from-home.

I've got a couple questions. Our 2001 A2 came with an after market stereo and I want to integrate the original stereo.

Firstly, how do I know if I have a CANBUS or pre-CANBUS stereo arrangement? The switch was made sometime in 2001 (2002 model year) - my VIN seems to indicate that it is CANBUS compatible, since the model year is supposed to be 2002 based on VIN - WAUZZZ8Z32N010058. It says the car was manufactured on 19.9.2001 and it was first registered on 9.10.2001. Is there a definitive check for this other than taking out the stereo? Note: I have a OBD II ELM327 adapter myself and could also possibly get access to VAG-COM/VCDS at a friend.

Secondly, which part number should I be looking for. Ideally, I want to have it just work plug'n'play - without any additional coding, filing of the fascia, etc. Should just work. I think the correct one (for CANBUS) would be either 8Z0 057 186 or 8Z0 035 186? The Concert 2 :)

Thirdly, I want to install a good BT gateway, including phone call support. On one of my previous cars, a Golf Mk5, I installed a Dension BT (CD changer emulator) gateway in the glove compartment that enabled this, and then ran a small cable with a microphone around the headliner to the driver sunvisor. Is such a gateway available for the Concert 2 units? Which one would you recommend?

And finally, I promise I will post some photos of the smallest car to join our garage after I take it to a nice polish and interior deep clean :)

Thanks for creating this forum and greetings from Slovenia,
sraka1

Welcome to the club sraka1, or should I say welcome to your better half. All A2s are canbus but the later one work slightly differently. The aftermarket radio could be a complete bodge or done correctly using adapter looms for most of it. You have not said if single or double DIN dashboard, as that makes a difference to which OEM radio you go for. Are the speakers still the Audi ones?
As for the BT phone emulator , yes the ones that emulate the cd changer do work on the A2 Gen2 radios but have not used them on Gen1 radios.

I believe the model year starts in the September of the previous calendar year i.e MY2002 would start in September 2001, corresponding with the factory restart after its summer break. That says to me that you have a CANBUS arrangement and should be looking for a second-generation Audi headunit i.e. Chorus II tape player, Concert II CD player or if double-DIN, Symphony II tape and 6CD changer.

The person who has the best knowledge on this is probably @timmus if he sees this tag.

Why not put it in the cubby storage in the dash....

1625512228670.jpeg

A word of warning.
Dont be surprised if you find that your car does not have CAN bus routed to the radio connectors, even though it is a 2002 or newer. It will depend on if it was factory ordered with Audi radio or not.
My experience :

A word of warning.
Dont be surprised if you find that your car does not have CAN bus routed to the radio connectors, even though it is a 2002 or newer. It will depend on if it was factory ordered with Audi radio or not.
My experience :
Indeed, very good point ? We're so used over here to thinking of UK spec that always had a headunit of some description included.

Regarding a bluetooth capability for the Audi Concert 2 I have bought this:

The set includes a microphone which I have installed but must admit I havent tried it yet, I am so far only using the possibility to stream content from my phone.

The build codes should help identify the original factory specification. I believe that the radio is 8U*

Regarding a bluetooth capability for the Audi Concert 2 I have bought this:

The set includes a microphone which I have installed but must admit I havent tried it yet, I am so far only using the possibility to stream content from my phone.
Nice, looks much more affordable and compact. Does the whole thing fit behing the radio unit then? Where did you route the microphone?

The build codes should help identify the original factory specification. I believe that the radio is 8U*
Ah, in that case @Joga made a valid point since perhaps it was not added, see attached image. Finding an old Blaupunkt stereo manual in the original Audi manual bag gave me the first clue already... @Joga so in this case I definitely don't have the CANBUS cable wired there and have to splice it from the Climatronic unit or smth like that (as mentioned in your thread)?

EDIT: Just checked all the codes with http://vag-codes.info/#option-decoder and it looks indeed like the car was supplied without a radio unit from the factory. Am a bit annoyed right now.

Also, fun fact - my wife-to-be keeps asking me if there is something wrong with the car that we bought since I keep checking it out on my computer. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3789.JPG
    IMG_3789.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Nice, looks much more affordable and compact. Does the whole thing fit behing the radio unit then? Where did you route the microphone?

Ah, in that case @Joga made a valid point since perhaps it was not added, see attached image. Finding an old Blaupunkt stereo manual in the original Audi manual bag gave me the first clue already... @Joga so in this case I definitely don't have the CANBUS cable wired there and have to splice it from the Climatronic unit or smth like that (as mentioned in your thread)?

EDIT: Just checked all the codes with http://vag-codes.info/#option-decoder and it looks indeed like the car was supplied without a radio unit from the factory. Am a bit annoyed right now.

Also, fun fact - my wife-to-be keeps asking me if there is something wrong with the car that we bought since I keep checking it out on my computer. Lol.
Yepp, it all fits hidden behind the radio. I routed the microphone wire up to the instrument cluster, and put the microphone next to it. Not a great place for capturing my speech I would guess.

The codes in the service book (or in the trunk) are just a subset of all valid codes and I havent yet understood why some codes get listed there and some are not.
To really know how your car was built you need to find ALL codes. Expect more than 100 codes in total.
E.g. for one of my car (aka SHE) more than 125 codes are listed.
One being 8YU = built for aftermarket radio.

Yepp, it all fits hidden behind the radio. I routed the microphone wire up to the instrument cluster, and put the microphone next to it. Not a great place for capturing my speech I would guess.

The codes in the service book (or in the trunk) are just a subset of all valid codes and I havent yet understood why some codes get listed there and some are not.
To really know how your car was built you need to find ALL codes. Expect more than 100 codes in total.
E.g. for one of my car (aka SHE) more than 125 codes are listed.
One being 8YU = built for aftermarket radio.
Thanks for the info. Do you know how/where do I find all of the codes?

I would start with asking your Audi dealer. If they are not friendly it can be found in Erwin where you can buy e.g. a 1h session for rather small money, and at the same time download a lot of useful manuals.

I would start with asking your Audi dealer. If they are not friendly it can be found in Erwin where you can buy e.g. a 1h session for rather small money, and at the same time download a lot of useful manuals.

Thanks, I just found that out and then read your post. It seems I also have 8YU, built for aftermarket radio. So I suppose I will have to take the K-diagnose and CANBUS Comfort Hi/Lo from the Climatronic display device (E87), right? Since it's not in there yet. I have found that the climate control has connectors A-E, but couldn't find pinouts for the individual connectors on the Erwin system. I found a VAG document with the "whole" pinout but that doesn't really make sense to me yet (since there's supposed to be 5 connectors - "steckers"). Files attached to see what I mean.

Added: After looking at it a bit more, I have vague idea, looking at the electrical schema there is a X/YY at the supposed E87 connection. It seems that the K-diagnose is at pin D/11 and that High and Low Bus are at A/9 and A/10, respectively? And the wires should be grey/white, orange/green and orange/brown? @Joga can you confirm that's the right pinout? :D The other document that I found outside of Erwin looks different though.

Attachments

• printWorkShopInfo - radio priklopi.pdf
    101.5 KB · Views: 179
  • printWiringDiagram (1) - klima elektrika.pdf
    152.2 KB · Views: 163
  • SSP_240_d4.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 222
  • Screenshot 2021-07-06 at 10.57.56.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-06 at 10.57.56.png
    403.6 KB · Views: 137
Thanks, I just found that out and then read your post. It seems I also have 8YU, built for aftermarket radio. So I suppose I will have to take the K-diagnose and CANBUS Comfort Hi/Lo from the Climatronic display device (E87), right? Since it's not in there yet. I have found that the climate control has connectors A-E, but couldn't find pinouts for the individual connectors on the Erwin system. I found a VAG document with the "whole" pinout but that doesn't really make sense to me yet (since there's supposed to be 5 connectors - "steckers"). Files attached to see what I mean.

Added: After looking at it a bit more, I have vague idea, looking at the electrical schema there is a X/YY at the supposed E87 connection. It seems that the K-diagnose is at pin D/11 and that High and Low Bus are at A/9 and A/10, respectively? And the wires should be grey/white, orange/green and orange/brown? @Joga can you confirm that's the right pinout? :D The other document that I found outside of Erwin looks different though.
Without having had time to read your documents I can confirm your thoughts: K-line at D/11,and CAN high at A/9 and CAN low at A/10.

Back