Concert 2 volume issues. Time to upgrade?

stevec

Wales
Hi all.
The volume issues on my concert 2 are getting worse. I want to retain the OEM look and bose sound quality in the A2, and have purchased parts to do a double din swap. So basically I'm asking which headunit is the best to go for.
Thanks Steve

Hi Steve can’t help on what unit to go for next but I’m interested in your concert radio would you mind sending me a PM ?

Thanks

Hi all.
The volume issues on my concert 2 are getting worse. I want to retain the OEM look and bose sound quality in the A2, and have purchased parts to do a double din swap. So basically I'm asking which headunit is the best to go for.
Thanks Steve
What is the volume problem?
When I got mine it was impossible to turn the volume up or down, a small turn just made it go silent. A spray of contact cleaner and it’s worked perfectly ever since.

What is the volume problem?
When I got mine it was impossible to turn the volume up or down, a small turn just made it go silent. A spray of contact cleaner and it’s worked perfectly ever since.
That was going to be my next option. We use electrical contact cleaner like its water in my current factory. But having been tempted by a bigger stereo in an A2, and as i have all parts to upgrade dash just weighing up my options.
Usual volume to zero when trying to adjust.
Thanks Steve

IMG_20190730_192149.jpg
I know I'm probably biased, but really if you're going to the trouble of upgrading/replacing the dashboard, and given you have a BOSE setup, you'd be mad not to consider an RNS-E.

I guess the choice really boils down to Symphony II or RNS-E. In my stable I have both, with BOSE.

The Symphony is easily available and inexpensive, and gives a great sound with CD's. One small downside, it will need coding for BOSE through VCDS if not already done.

The RNS-E doesn't need special coding as I understand it, it's more intelligent and recognises when it's connected to a BOSE configuration. It gives an even better sound quality as it has an internal pre-amp. I'm sure you'll know about the MP3 card slots and of course there's the sat-nav. You also can use a dedicated AUX-In feed with a late enough firmware level, instead of a CD-changer emulation device. On the downside, to get the most out of it you need DIS and a rear 6CD changer. And then there's the price, many times what you'd pay for even a very good condition Symphony.

If like me, most of your music is played through an AUX cable and you don't feel the need to use Nav much, the justification for the RNS-E is difficult. But once it's in there, you'll be reluctant to take it out again.

EDIT: Subsequently seen this Timmus post where he mentions that the RNS-E does need coding for BOSE, plus wiring adaptation to the Quadlock adapter. I stand corrected.

Last edited:
My A2 is a sport model with dis. My current set up is concert 2 bose with a Dension gateway 300 (gw33ac2). I play most of my music through a usb stick(40+ albums). The track, album, artist info, is displayed on the Dis. Really like this function and as i understand it, will be standard with a rnse unit. So I'm kinda swinging towards one.
Steve

If you're prepared to do a bit of work with a saw, dremel and sandpaper a RNS-E from an A4 or an A6 is way cheaper. It needs some of the edge trimming down, I got a fully functional one off eBay for £160.

Back