confused about tank size....

Christophe

A2OC Donor
Hello everyone,

I have a 55 reg SE 1.4 petrol, called Sven. I'm really confused about tank size, as I'm sure others are. In the manual it claims 34 litres. But if that is the case I can squeeze up to around 36, perhaps 38 litres. But if it is a 42 litre, then that means there are up to 7 or 8 litres left in the tank when it hits empty.

Thanks!:confused:

My 20l tank only takes 13-16l when the warning claxon goes. For diesels the alarm is very early, but then it is not as simple as a petrol if you actually run dry! So maybe the petrol is set lower.
Is the 36 achieved after the first click-stop from the pump or do you carry on after this? If you do you may be filling the venting space which should be empty on a petrol.
I think if you use a online VIN checker or ask the dealer the actual size is contained in the vehicles VIN number.

A quick search found this demo page: http://vinfreecheck.com/vin/waujc68e33a157225/

John

By the age of your car it should have a 42l tank. I have a 42 and it's normal for it to only allow me to fill 36-38l before the first click if the gauge is down into the klaxon of doom warning region. There's probably a good 4l left in the tank when the klaxon goes off.
Don't try and over-fill your car too much though as with a petrol, the tank needs some space for vapour expansion.

Ooh good luck with that tank mod - I know Tony Hotstuff did that and it was quite involved!

Back