Continuous indicating noise??

larax

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone. First off sorry for the cable mess I couldn't sorted it out that yet.
I facing (hopefully) a minor problem.

Recently I noticed this "indicating" noise after turning or using the indicator.
Is this normal or somethnig what I can't fix?

2005 1.4 petrol Special edition.

Thanks for any advice.

The video is the following.

Hi everyone. First off sorry for the cable mess I couldn't sorted it out that yet.
I facing (hopefully) a minor problem.

Recently I noticed this "indicating" noise after turning or using the indicator.
Is this normal or somethnig what I can't fix?

2005 1.4 petrol Special edition.

Thanks for any advice.

The video is the following.

Sounds like Indicator relay faulty.

Sounds like Indicator relay faulty.
Thanks for the quick answer.
All the turning lights are on they all working the only problem this stupid sound what it makes after I turned.
Do you know if its easy fix or should I leave for a professional?

Thanks for the quick answer.
All the turning lights are on they all working the only problem this stupid sound what it makes after I turned.
Do you know if its easy fix or should I leave for a professional?

Read this

Yes as per the thread the indicator and hazard relays are built into the same unit. Have you checked both functions, i.e. the indicators both directions first and then without indicating the hazards. Have someone operate the stalk / hazard button and you walk around the car and check they are working and more importantly not flashing after the stick has been centered. I am assuming you do not have a komfortblinker installed. Replace the relay if still not working properly.

Thank you for all the input! It seem's indicator relay stopped making that noise just before I had the chance to have a look at it! Now everything works fine!

Electrics and especially the battery is a known weak point on the A2. How old is the battery? If more than about 8 years then change it for one of the correct capacity. If less then fully charge it. Do it off the car and clean the battery terminals. Yes I know there are people on here still with their original battery BUT they are most certainly on borrowed time. Relays tend to arc and weld when the voltage is not correct so this could have been at least part of your problem.

Electrics and especially the battery is a known weak point on the A2. How old is the battery? If more than about 8 years then change it for one of the correct capacity. If less then fully charge it. Do it off the car and clean the battery terminals. Yes I know there are people on here still with their original battery BUT they are most certainly on borrowed time. Relays tend to arc and weld when the voltage is not correct so this could have been at least part of your problem.
Unfortunately I don't know. For me the battery seems in a pretty good condition but I will probably change it soon anyway. First I may give a good clean to the terminals. Thanks for the advice!

Recently had a correct new battery fitted to our A2 and now the indicators have started performing the same fault

''Recently I noticed this "indicating" noise after turning or using the indicator.
Is this something that I can fix''?

Burnt or sticking relay, either take apart and clean or just replace the indicator / hazard relay that is behind the cubby in the dash.

I wonder if I may have the same problem. Today my indicators started playing up. They seem to manage a flash or two and then give up. Sometimes they don't flash at all. If I leave then a while they seem to be back in the mood for a flash or two. I will go and try the hazard lights since I hadn't tried those.

I thought it might be something more terminal about the electrics since it started doing it on the same run that the ABS light came on but VCDS tells me that is OSF wheel sensor which is credible since I replaced it only a couple of weeks ago and maybe the connection is a bit dodgy.

I hoped my VCDS was going to tell me about the indicators since there is a controller test for "Cent. Elect" but it said "No Response from Controller" when I scanned it... maybe it is just for fancy new cars ? :)

this is almost certainly the flasher relay failing
The hazards use the same relay, but a different circuit in the relay, so its likely hazards will work perfectly, but indicator not working

Its located behind the cubby hole in the dash (single DIN) or back of climatron on 2Din dash

Try @A2Steve he is likely to have a good second hand unit available

Paul

Oh, thanks, Paul. I think I must have a single DIN dash. I have a single DIN stereo and then the climatron below that and a further DIN sized looking cubby box thing below that. Is that what you mean ? Is it in behind that ? ie at the bottom of the stack? Thanks

yes, open the ash tray (important)
put your hand inside the cubby hole, make a fist as hard as you can then pull like hell, the cubby hole will come away, but it may take several tries
Audi used some steel spring clips which are incredibly strong
The flasher relay is at the back of the cubby hole

Paul

Great, Paul. Thanks! I think I must have read your fist solution earlier since I had it out a couple of weeks back because a I wanted somewhere to locate an aux in adaptor for my Concert CD player. I had tried to get it out but it just didn't feel like it was designed to simply pull out! Reading about the fist amd realising that is just required brute force and ignorance was a great help :)

yes you will think you are going to pull out the entire dash board if its not been out for 15+ years, but it will give in eventually
just remember to open the ash tray first, else you will be on the market place for a replacement :)

I will warn you the flasher relay is a big to get out. You can pull out the climate panel once the cubby hole panel is out to give a lot more room, same idea, fingers around the back and pull HARD

Paul

Ah, another one where it is good to know that is the technique :) I did wonder how to get that climate control unit out when fitting my aux-in thing since it would have been easier but I couldn't work out how to do it... no screws visible but it didn't fel like it was just a clip in. OK, I'll give it a good hard haul ! Thanks

Back