Coolant leak solved

Dave Kelas

My A2 1.6 FSI has had a very slight coolant leak since I bought it. Today I got tired of putting 500ml bottles in every 250 miles and decided to fix it.

I’d just got home from a 3 mile drive so I removed the bonnet and had a look. Couldn’t see any signs but I knew the general area was up around the expansion tank. I revved the engine and ran back to see a wet spot on one of the pipes where coolant had landed on it from above.

There are 2 Y pipes in the small return pipe that goes into the top of the expansion tank. The lower one had some white deposit around it so I gave it a gentle poke with my finger. Bad idea! The pipe instantly broke off, spraying coolant and steam in my face! Luckily it wasn’t too hot so I’m not scalded.

Audi won’t sell me the Y pipe. You have to buy the complete set of return pipes at £84! Stuff that! I went to Halfords who had a white Y pipe of the exact dimensions and cost me £2.90. Coolant leak fixed ?

1F5DB9C0-105A-40CE-AE90-0FE646077E64.jpeg

My A2 1.6 FSI has had a very slight coolant leak since I bought it. Today I got tired of putting 500ml bottles in every 250 miles and decided to fix it.

I’d just got home from a 3 mile drive so I removed the bonnet and had a look. Couldn’t see any signs but I knew the general area was up around the expansion tank. I revved the engine and ran back to see a wet spot on one of the pipes where coolant had landed on it from above.

There are 2 Y pipes in the small return pipe that goes into the top of the expansion tank. The lower one had some white deposit around it so I gave it a gentle poke with my finger. Bad idea! The pipe instantly broke off, spraying coolant and steam in my face! Luckily it wasn’t too hot so I’m not scalded.

Audi won’t sell me the Y pipe. You have to buy the complete set of return pipes at £84! Stuff that! I went to Halfords who had a white Y pipe of the exact dimensions and cost me £2.90. Coolant leak fixed ?

View attachment 56434
Was it rated to the temperatures of the cooling system or just a generic “y”piece?
I would think carefully about driving it if it’s the later.
Do you have the hose internal dimensions
as you must be able to get an aluminium or stainless fitting which would remove the problem permanently.

Hth
Keith.

Was it rated to the temperatures of the cooling system or just a generic “y”piece?
I would think carefully about driving it if it’s the later.
Do you have the hose internal dimensions
as you must be able to get an aluminium or stainless fitting which would remove the problem permanently.

Hth
Keith.

This would be a good idea. Must do a bit of research on it. I have the old connector so I can check the dimensions. Do you have any suggestions where I can find these in metal?

This would be a good idea. Must do a bit of research on it. I have the old connector so I can check the dimensions. Do you have any suggestions where I can find these in metal?
If you measure the internal diameter as acutely as you can & let me know I’ll try & find something.

Back