Coolant level help

A2!

So I have recently been getting a red coolant level sign on the DIS. It would go away after a short time, it never appeared on every run. With getting a new radiator a few months ago and knowing at the time all the coolant ran out of the car, I assumed it must have been fully topped up. So I guessed it must have been the sensor, but I've just had a look and I don't know if it is my eyes but I can't work out how where the level is.

I checked straight after I stopped the car, but I guess it gives a better indication once it has cooled down and settled. I still can't really make out where it is. It is dark now but I guess a look at it with the camera flash on would help.

4a9a8e4d711d65636cef5f983dfad469.jpg

Looking inside I can see far down a dark red coloured coolant fluid.

4640800ba3eaef38a2765c0ad2c697bd.jpg

Any help with telling me how full this is would be great. Maybe I'm tired and it is dead obvious.

Thanks

Euan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

should be on the seal between upper and lower half-globes. I'd look to replace the lid before much else...

- Bret

you can probably drop half a liter of G12++ in there without too much hassle, see where it comes to on the globe. Oh, and backlighting will show it way more clearly than a flash from the front :)

- Bret

Hi Euan

It's not possible from the pics to determine the level but there's a chance the reservoir could be empty.

You could try shining s torch from the back of the tank and see if that shows up the level - and possibly pour a cup of water in at the same time to help determine where the 'surface' is.

Don't rely on the temp gauge as if the level is very low the sensor won't pick up an accurate reading - it needs a flow of coolant around it to work correctly

Cheers Spike

PS. It looks like Bret can type faster than me.........but it proves that great minds seem to think alike

Hi a2.... Looking at that picture of the inside of the bottle.. It looks like oil in there I hope I'm wrong... But definitely looks like a build up of sludge.. Can you run your finger in there and see what it smells feels like.. If you can remove the oil filler cap see if there's any white sludge in the cap.. Both could be the sign of a bigger issue.. As your unsure if it was topped up or has indeed disappeared..zip

Thanks guys, yes put the iPhone light behind it and can see it is a little low. I checked the oil cap it is clean, no "Mayo". Haven't smelt the stuff from the tank though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if its redish, orange colour your fine as just rust mixed with the water, id be more concerned with the fact its black oily looking substance at the top there as it looks in the picture id say the same as zipnzeff your headgaskets preasurising oil into a water ways as sometimes you just get compression into water ways so it spews water out of the overflow, sometimes you get water in the oil and others you get oil in the water

Reactions: A2!
+2 about what looks like it could be oil residue, Euan.

It may just be the photograph making the liquid inside look somewhat oily, but perhaps it would be good to ask a garage to check if they can detect oil / Hydrocarbons in your coolant? Even just as a precaution. :eek:

Regards,

Matt.

Reactions: A2!
Back