Cost of a new TDi fuel pump?

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Car serviced today including new fuel filter. Now garage can't restart it (or cuts out after a short time). Has been kept overnight.

Looking at posts it could be air getting in (but never had any problems before) or failing fuel pump. If its the latter what sort of cost (parts and labour) to fix. Just to give me a bench mark if it's the worst. A2 is TDi 75 with 85k miles.

Need to get it sorted as have visitors from abroad on Weds. May have to hire a car for a week at £350 :( if I can't trust the A2. One of our visitors is elderly and in a wheelchair so can't afford to be marooned in the countryside.

Thanks

A seal kit was used to revamp my old pump , worked a treat. The internal cam pump was showing wear but I was not overly bothered. The seals stopped the oil leak down the side of the cylinder head and kept oil out of the diesel.
In addition I unwittingly mullered my drain plug and got stalling and poor starting afterwards.
Shortly after this the wiring loom that goes to the diesel injectors stopped working on cylinder 2 and the car could not be driven until a new loom was fitted.
All the best

beady73: Many thanks for that post. Given Steve's link showing £700 for the part, a seal kit sounds worth a shot, though the labour will be the same. Also, from your experience, replace one thing and that can cause a knock on effect :(

Steveb: you knowledge shines again - many thanks. I would certainly need a big discount to lessen the pain. Otherwise over £1,000 I guess with labour. Let's hope the garage can sort it.

PS How to complicate things by combining the brake servo and fuel pump!

I would be very weary of them telling you the pump has failed at the exact time they changed the filter.

I have found on my AMF engined car that the hoses connected to the filter can let air in (cracking with age). so if you have this type of filter, in front of the N/S/R wheel, it might be the problem.

get them to remove the drain screw and ensure that fuel flows out, assuming it does then as already stated check for cracked fuel pipes especially where they have clamped the pipes to change the filter, also check that they have not butchered the O rings on the new fuel screw. If all that is OK then suck fuel up to the engine bay with clear tubing, quickly connect to the meal pipe and crank with accelerator hard down, when it fires hold about 2500rpm for at least 60 seconds to ensure all air is out the system

£1000 for a fuel pump fitted????

I hope I got that wrong. I recently did the job £180 for a Bosch pump and one hour to fit it.

The pump on my 2003 1.4 TDI was manufactured by LUK

Me too, my 03 TDi had a LUK pump, it leaked diesel and ruined a set of cooling hoses.

I replaced all of the seals:
https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...uk-038145209e-tandem-fuel-pump-rebuild.31924/

18 months later it leaked diesel again and ruined a second set of hoses.

Had it with LUK, hoses over £100 a set, so bought a new Bosch pump.

One final point to note, my LUK seal kit was supplied with a defective head to pump gasket.
https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/help-weirdest-oil-leak-i-have-ever-seen.35559/

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
I now have the A2 back. Garage said the battery was weak so couldn't turn the engine over fast enough to suck the air out of the fuel line. They put it on charge overnight and used a boost battery as well. My battery is 2.5 years old 85aH Varta F19.

Thanks for every ones input.

Just to add to the problems, they reported a nail in front tyre and said they were beginning to perish. They are 6 year old Toyo Proxy. Biting the bullet and having 2 more fitted tomorrow at 9:30 before heading to Heathrow. £72 each fitted.

Back