Could be the One

Stan H

Morning All,
Although I joined a2oc without owning an A2 a month or so ago & I said that I wasn’t going to look seriously for one until next year.
one has come up for sale. Tdi (75bhp) with apparently f.s.h. with approx 140k on it.
I have a hand held diag tool I use on my A4 tdi but it’s not Vag tool.
Anything in particular to look out for.
I see the norms are door straps the soft touch switch’s issue, wiper arm rivet wear, number plate lights faulty.
Bigger issues turbo & gearbox noise / wear, gear selection.
I have noticed oil leak , On MOT history, any common areas?

I bow to your greater knowledge,
Hopefully by the end of the day I could be a full member?.

Stan.

Check straps and wiper arm are easy fixes
Gearbox only really suffers from the tower bearing failure and 3rd gear synchro wear
Grab the top of the gear change shaft were the cables attach and pull it from side to side if you feel any amount of slip then the bearing is suspect
Not a reason to not buy but a negation point
Synchro if it engages 3rd gear when going up and down the box without any issues then it’s all good
If 3rd gear synchro is iffy then it’s realistically a change of gearbox. Lots of better options now ebx jdd myp etc
Turbo should come on boost at around 1800 rpm in 3rd gear this should give you a noticeable push in the back and should pull strongly to 3200rpm when it will fall away
There is a turbo whistle but it’s not very loud unless windows are wide open and you are going down country lanes where the noise of reflected back
If it’s a local car I could give it the once over for you

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oil leak down rear of engine is common from rear corner of rocker cover passenger side
A new cover and seal is really the only solution on the earlier cars at around £120
The latter cover was redesigned abs the seal is available separately at circa £25
The early seal is no longer available
Egr is know to leak (I can offer a great solution for that)
Paul

Oil leak down rear of engine is common from rear corner of rocker cover passenger side
A new cover and seal is really the only solution on the earlier cars at around £120
The latter cover was redesigned abs the seal is available separately at circa £25
Paul

Thanks, Paul,
Busy day today, so hopefully will have time to get to see it. Not too local though.
Thanks for the info, more notes on my pad. ?.

Hi it is worth checking to see if the balance shaft /oil pump chain and tensioner have been replaced as mine failed at 147k not a cheap job but can cause terminal damage to the engine

Paul

Paul, I see a Febi seal is available for 00-05 AMF engine rocker covers. Is it essential to fit a new rocker cover?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The earlier cover design warps and the seal is not the same on the earlier and latter covers
I believe this to be an error on the Febi seal

I may be going past b&q latter today so will get a length if I am

Hi All,
Sadly this is not Claudia.
Bad points, Rear bumper badly scuffed / cut and out of fixings, Front bumper hit on n/s corner enough to imprint what is behind it & front edge of front passenger door paint bubbling with filler coming out, all near side.
Paint missing from bonnet intake. Both rear shocks need replacing and driver's door strap.
Wheels in a state, brake calipers looking their age as are the headlights.
Good points. New shocks at the front. Light blue seats looks hardly warn and very tidy.
Non SE version up at £1,295 in Nelson, Lancs on eBay with Classic motors (Ash). Old mill unit.
I didn't take it for a run.

Other good point my wife looks to be a convert. ?.
Thanks for the advice, the search continues still have 12 months.
Stan

Shame that one didn't come up to scratch. In the advert it looks about the expected condition and price for a dealer sale, after they've added their pound of flesh. Towards the lower end of the market the economics of dealerships sadly just don't work out with any likelihood of you getting a nice one for your money.

In that price range, you would probably do better with a private seller as long as you keep your mechanical wits about you. Have you signed up for the Market place on here? (Account Upgrades option on your user profile on the top black menu bar, costs £2 via PayPal).

Good news that your good lady is on board for an A2 though - that's definitely a plus point for the day :)

True, for that price you can pick up a new electric bike!!!
It was at the bottom of my price range to but as it's the first one I have seen or sat in we have to start somewhere.
If it was an se then I would have probably have took it further.
My wife was sat in the A4 with the children but was suitable impressed.
My ideal would be Mauritius blue pearl effect with a cream interior, TDI SE with the seats being sports, I have heated leather in the CRV & prefer material.
Bose, cruise, parking sensors f & r and a false floor boot. 100 bhp.
Dolphin grey, Silver Azure blue some of the other colours.
Look like I'll have Timmus on my list as well.
Depronman is only a couple of miles from me so when the Covid-19 situation backs off we will arrange to meet and he can show me around his.

True, for that price you can pick up a new electric bike!!!
It was at the bottom of my price range to but as it's the first one I have seen or sat in we have to start somewhere.
If it was an se then I would have probably have took it further.
My wife was sat in the A4 with the children but was suitable impressed.
My ideal would be Mauritius blue pearl effect with a cream interior, TDI SE with the seats being sports, I have heated leather in the CRV & prefer material.
Bose, cruise, parking sensors f & r and a false floor boot. 100 bhp.
Dolphin grey, Silver Azure blue some of the other colours.
Look like I'll have Timmus on my list as well.
Depronman is only a couple of miles from me so when the Covid-19 situation backs off we will arrange to meet and he can show me around his.
All of the above items on the desirables list are possible, with the exception of front sensors unless someone fitted an aftermarket set. There was never an OEM fitment for these. TBH you don't need them, the front is so short and the turning circle so tight, there's always more room around the bumper than you think. You're certainly in the right part of the country to achieve the other things you'd like though - lucky you! :D

Curiosity got the better of and this is what I found... It is a PETROL.

SY03XEU AUDI A2​

Check another vehicle

Colour Blue​

Fuel type Petrol​

Date registered 27 March 2003​

MOT valid until 5 February 2022​

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal. (Opens in a new Window) by email or text.

If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested 4 February 2021​

Pass​

View test certificate

Mileage 136,746 miles​

MOT test number 5684 7793 2759​

Test location​

View test location

Expiry date 5 February 2022​

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):​

• Nearside Headlamp lens slightly defective (4.1.1 (b) (i))
  • Offside Headlamp lens slightly defective (4.1.1 (b) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):​

• Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
  • Offside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
What are advisories?

As both headlights were picked up on the MOT very minimum is they are replaced. Bumper and door can be swapped relatively easily.

Yet on tax site......It is a DIESEL

SY03 XEU​

✗ Untaxed​

Tax due:
25 March 2021

Incorrect tax status?

✓ MOT​

Expires:
5 February 2022

Incorrect MOT status?

Warning If you've just bought this vehicle the tax or SORN doesn't come with it. You'll need to tax it before driving it.

Vehicle Details​

Vehicle make AUDI
Date of first registration March 2003
Year of manufacture 2003
Cylinder capacity 1390 cc
CO₂ emissions 116 g/km
Fuel type DIESEL
Euro status Not available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE) Not available
Export marker No
Vehicle status Untaxed
Vehicle colour BLUE
Vehicle type approval M1
Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 1 August 2020

That's strange, I wonder how that came about? Different databases maybe? Looks like another reason not to buy this one at any rate.

All of the above items on the desirables list are possible, with the exception of front sensors unless someone fitted an aftermarket set. There was never an OEM fitment for these
Evening Ian,

OEM Front OPS/PDC sensors are entirely possible. Pretty sure there’s a few A2s with this retrofit in Europe. Not the easiest of installations but nothing that our friend in Lancaster couldn’t provide. A competent DIYer could achieve this also but these things are sometimes left to the expert that is @timmus.

The A2s 8Z0 PDC Control couldn’t be used for this though as it simply doesn’t have the internal circuitry for front sensors, the pins look to be there on the outside but nothing on the inside of the module.

A similar era PDC Control Module from an A6 would work perfectly. Of course this would involve cutting the sensor holes in the front bumper, note there are no guide markings like the rear bumper. There will also be a requirement for a PDC Off button (as in the A6), those who have completed this retrofit have used and adapted an ECO button from the famous 1.2 TDI.

Eco Button which sits below the ASR Button:
48F1F82F-CFFD-4380-9265-5976CCAF0D23.jpeg

Modified Eco Button:
5F781CA0-D653-4508-B2FA-4CC33B7CC8D3.jpeg

Personally I have been considering this for a few years but just not felt the need to give it a go yet. The main reason is that I’d hate to cut sensor holes in a headlamp washer bumper and have a change of heart. That said this is exactly what someone has done. Later OPS sensors used opposed to the PDC sensors. I think this is probably due to the Control Module used:

4288DEF2-B901-4B69-BB61-D61066003AA0.jpeg

I do totally agree with you though, just not needed on an A2. Does that mean that I’ll never fit front sensors, possibly. If I do ever run out of things to tinker with this will probably be on the list of things to investigate further.

Kind regards,

Tom

True that's what I found. I put the reg into Black circles and Euro car parts and both came up with it as a diesel as did the hpi check.
Had the diesel sound when driven into the mill unit.

Back