Creating a storm - A2Steve

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
My thought processes over the last few days are as follows:

1. I've got a yellow colour.storm FSI with bodywork that's in great condition but mechanicals that are terrible.
A48CF5B7-C0D9-4D4B-84E2-F4570A4671F3.jpeg

2. I've got a 190k TDI that mechanically seems good enough to save, but body work that's rough. Bonnet, both bumpers, rear arches and both drivers doors need replacing.
BE8A2193-F53D-4302-AC02-27ED95B3A027.jpeg

3. I've always fancied a yellow TDI colour.storm.

I think there's only really one thing to do. A complete body panel swap.

The bonnet, wings, arches, doors, bootlid and seats from the colour.storm will be transferred onto the TDI. I'll then paint the inner door shuts in imola yellow and have the roof and rear quarter panels painted professionally in the correct colour.

I know this has been executed well in the past by at least 2 other members that i'm aware of, so know it can work out well.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

1. I've got a yellow colour.storm FSI with bodywork that's in great condition but mechanicals that are terrible.
View attachment 91464

2. I've got a 190k TDI that mechanically seems good enough to save, but body work that's rough. Bonnet, both bumpers, rear arches and both drivers doors need replacing.
View attachment 91465

The bonnet, wings, arches, doors, bootlid and seats from the colour.storm will be transferred onto the TDI. I'll then paint the inner door shuts in imola yellow and have the roof and rear quarter panels painted professionally in the correct colour.

I know this has been executed well in the past by at least 2 other members that i'm aware of, so know it can work out well.

Wish me luck.
Afternoon Steve,

Judging by your previous A2's, I'm positive that it'll be spot on once compete.

The very best of luck with this one!

Kind regards,

Tom

Nooooo….. that would mean another fsi bites the dust??
Surely another engine must be available somewhere?????????????
There is loads of tdi’s about but not so many FSI’s and especially in yellow. Thoughts ??

Bravo that man ? That will make a not insignificant percentage increase in the number of yellow TDI Storms in the country, surely that can only be a good thing :D
Yes, but the question will be, 'is it a colourstorm'?

My argument is going to be that it is, because colourstorm wasn't a model but an optional extra, the same as BOSE or leather seats.

My argument is going to be that it is, because colourstorm wasn't a model but an optional extra, the same as BOSE or leather seats.
Exactly that ? My yellow one just says it's an A2 TDI SE under 'Model' on the logbook.

I thing you’re bob on steve. Seems an excellent way of making the best of the two cars and the decent bits of the remainder will help other cars live on. Well done you ??

View attachment 91464

View attachment 91465

Wish me luck.

I think this is a great project the only thing I would add however is paint matching yellow is extremely hard, if your painter can do it then I have a job for him also, as most bodywork guys dislike doing yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll machine polish the existing body panels the best I can and then hopefully he can match them. I’ll be happy with a close match. It’s a 190k car so will never hold much value.
I think this is a great project the only thing I would add however is paint matching yellow is extremely hard, if your painter can do it then I have a job for him also, as most bodywork guys dislike doing yellow.

My only thought is that the Storm has the full Votex body kit - do you think it will remove OK? Also, when it comes to painting there's something about the black arches stopping where it meet the rear bumper and side sill, just seems out of balance. Perhaps the best plan would be to colour code the arches to bring it all together. Other than that it all seems very doable...

My only thought is that the Storm has the full Votex body kit - do you think it will remove OK? Also, when it comes to painting there's something about the black arches stopping where it meet the rear bumper and side sill, just seems out of balance. Perhaps the best plan would be to colour code the arches to bring it all together. Other than that it all seems very doable...
The votex kit has already been removed and is packed ready to go off to a forum member.

This will just look like a standard Colourstorm once done, on a set of sport spec 17’s .

Y

Yes the FSI had OSS, but no they can’t be swapped over sorry.

It has been done see here.

Great project Steve! Look forward to seeing it. Will it be for sale?

View attachment 91464

View attachment 91465

Wish me luck.

Back