Cv joint removal??

Vanders

Advice needed on removing the cv joint on my 1.4tdi...
This bloody thing is impossible to remove.
I’ve searched in here and realise there is thread lock used.
Any tips are more than appreciated

You need an hub mounted pusher. It bolts on using the wheel bolts and pushes the cv shaft out of the bearing

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and a very long strong bar...I ended up using my jack handle on the t bar to get it to even think about moving...I have also had to take the whole hub to a press shop to get it pressed out...22 tons later it decided to give up the fight...with one hell of a bang...I quickly went home to get changed!!!!?

I used a hydraulic 10 tonne puller/pusher like this:

This on it's own was still not enough. I burst one. with the replacement I tightened it to just less than the first one burst, then heated it a bit with a plumbers blow torch, then gave it a jolt with a lump hammer, finally it gave up. I resorted to this only after bending and stripping threads on various other non hydraulic tools.

I'm near newent if you pass this way and want to borrow my tool which is the same as the one in the ebay link above.

Trevor

I've got one of these. I got it off Amazon think it was about £20 when I did my cv boot. It wasnt easy even with this but managed to change the boot

1604575329745.png

I used a normal puller incrementally with a propane torch. I had to do the process twice in 3 weeks after finding out that the strut top mounts were shot right after a cv renewal.

Tighten and then heat, until it gives up.

This on it's own was still not enough. I burst one. with the replacement I tightened it to just less than the first one burst, then heated it a bit with a plumbers blow torch, then gave it a jolt with a lump hammer, finally it gave up. I resorted to this only after bending and stripping threads on various other non hydraulic tools.

I'm near newent if you pass this way and want to borrow my tool which is the same as the one in the ebay link above.

Trevor
Thank you for the very kind offer!

Im not sure how I would use these linked tools to remove a CV joint. I have only ever fixed the driveshaft in the vice and knocked the CV joint off of the shaft. Some are tougher than others of course but I cant see how you would use these pullers?

Regards, Mike

I think this thread so far has focused on problem 1: removal of outer joint including shaft from the wheel hub. Problem 2 would be as you mentioned to subsequently to remove the joint from the driveshaft.

Hi , just about to replace the CV joint in mine too and I'm also wondering how the CV joint comes off the drive shaft? , Also if I remove the hub with the drive shaft attached will it drop the gear oil ? . Thanks in advance .

A securing ring rather than a circlip that you remove with circlip pliers.

RAB

Trevor
I blew one of those; mechanical bolt on puller did the job.

Yes the oil comes out. Tool usually needed as recommended by RAB above.
In case of a 1.4 petrol (as for Jim82) the gearbox oil do not come out when removing the driveshaft.
Just onbolt the driveshaft from the drive flange of the gearbox.
The drive flange remains in the gearbox and no oil is lost.
For diesel A2s it might be a totally different thing as the inboard joint is of a different type.

The 1.2 and 1.4Tdi's have different arrangements. The former has a flange that bolts to the gearbox with one central bolt. To remove the shaft, you just remove the boot and pull out the shaft, thus splitting the CV joint. The flange is sealed, so no oil is lost. The 1.4 has a flange that is bolted to the CV joint.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
In case of a 1.4 petrol (as for Jim82) the gearbox oil do not come out when removing the driveshaft.
Just onbolt the driveshaft from the drive flange of the gearbox.
The drive flange remains in the gearbox and no oil is lost.
For diesel A2s it might be a totally different thing as the inboard joint is of a different type.
Yes my mistake, I took the drive flanges out too to replace the seals. Then the oil definitely comes out.

Back