Dead Starter motor?

bm_sthlm

A2OC Donor
Hi, I have run into a problem and Im pretty sure its the starter engine. But how can I make sure?

So the problems started a few weeks ago, where on random days the car wouldnt start. But then the next day everything seemed to work. At first I thought it was bad battery after the winter, but the battery was fine. On the dashboard I would get a yellow picture of the steering wheel with a exclamation mark. I could also hear a click from the engine. But it would not turn. Then a few days ago, I got the same symptoms, but this time the engine did start. But a strong smell of electrical fire came into the car, so I turned off the engine and checked the engine room. Didnt notice anything. Now the car will not make any attempts to turn. No clicking sound, nothing.

So my question is, is this a starter motor problem and how can I check if it is? And how difficult is to change it for a enthusiastic amateur?

Thank you.

Check wiring to starter motor.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Starter motor earth, behind the passenger headlight. When ours needed cleaning up it made near-new batteries unable to start the (tdi) engine in less than a week, coupled with warnings of low voltage (including steering warning). Obviously, as a2adam hints above, the earth may be o.k but there could be a break in the same wire under the insulation, but my starting point would be to look at the earth itself for presence of visible oxide exudate and so on. The horrible electrical smell though does make me wonder if recent attempts to start with possible insufficient earthing has then cooked something in the motor coils or perhaps the starter solenoid due to resistance causing one or other coil to be energised for longer than designed when stationary? Perhaps now a fuse has popped as well, hence current lack of any response.

Hi, thanks for the tips.

The earth connection seemed fine, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. But I did spot something, in the middle of the cable, I saw that it has taken some damage and part of the copper wire is exposed.

I also checked all the fuses, and found one bad fuse that I switched, but it didnt help. Maybe thats the source of the smell?

I've seen similar before,car wouldn't start. Main earth looked fine, no visible corrosion though under the heat shrink where the cable is crimped the copper was corroded to the extent that the connector could be pulled off the cable with very little force.

Ok, unscrew it, clean it with metal brush? Thats it? Btw, its the thick cable that is connected directly to the starter motor right?

TBH if you are going to remove the earth cable to clean it you would be better to replace the cable and ensure the end points where it connects are clean and free from corrosion. Disconnect the battery first to make sure you do not short anything out with spanners.

Ok, unscrew it, clean it with metal brush? Thats it? Btw, its the thick cable that is connected directly to the starter motor right?
that's what I did once someone here had posted images so I could see where it was. Sanded the ring connector on the end of the wire and used the dremel wee wire brush thing to clean up the chassis side.

Back