Diesel fuel filter

Loopylou

Hi, looking for advise on how to change the fuel filter please, i can't seem to find anything, its a 1.4 tdi any links to videos be much appreciated x

There are two types of fuel filter on the tdi's so you will need to check your car which you have

There is a thread listing lots of useful A2 how tos here

There's pictures of the two types in this thread

If you have the plastic canister type, clamp off all flexible hoses before removing the filter. If you don't do this you will be cranking for hours or require a pump to draw fuel to the tandem pump.
On reassembly the drain screw just needs nipping up, the seals stop any leakage. Go at it heavy handed and it will shear off.

Last edited:

and lastly the later plastic filter housing. You can clearly see the torque for the drain plug is 2 Nm...

The plastic filter came in mid 2002, so early TDI's have an aluminium canister style filter that is a throw away item.
The later style black plastic canister was introduced mid 2002 onwards and uses a paper cartidge filter and also as the plastic drain screw which is HIGHLY likely to break when you attempt to undo it, you must undo it to remove the filter end cap which allows the paper element filter to be removed and replaced.
The plastic screw is not available as a replacement item, you have to buy the entire filter housing assembly as around £120 including the vat.
However I manufacture an aluminium drain screw which is a drop in replacement for the plastic screw. I highly recomend that you purchase an aluminium drain screw BEFORE you attempt to change the filter if you have the latter style filter housing.
I have had to ship out so many aluminium drain screws on quick (read expensive) delivery services because the plastic screw broke and there is diesel dripping from the filter housing, and at £1.75 a litre that is not a good position to be in.
The Aluminium drain screw is £23 with £5 delivery, drop me a PM if you need one, I have stock
Please don't take this as a 'sale pitch', just a few words of warning as I've been party to helping so many A2OC members out when the plastic screw has broken (which is very likely as its been soaked in diesel for the last 20 years which over time makes the plastic very brittle).

Cheers,
Paul

Paul according to his profile it is a 2000 car and I posted the instructions above.
Plastic filter housing fitted from 05/2002 as per the workshop manual.

I know that Paul. It is THE one area the club is badly lacking. Not only do we see questions when the profile is "Do not have an A2" but also vague and plain stupid locations such as UK, Scotland, Wales or in front of the key board. Those tend to make me not want to help them as they can not be bothered to help us.

Apologies, I have Searched the threads for possible answers with no luck.
I'm new to the A2 and enjoying it.
Bought it a month ago and tackling the jobs that need doing.
I can't seem to find the fuel filter on my 1.4 tdi.
I've attached some pics to help.
Thanks in advance.
Y594OCT if that helps
Rich

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230518-163322.png
    Screenshot_20230518-163322.png
    181.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20230518_160009297.jpg
    IMG_20230518_160009297.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230518_155955139.jpg
    IMG_20230518_155955139.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20230518_155930249.jpg
    IMG_20230518_155930249.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20230509_202623271_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230509_202623271_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
Thanks in advance.
Y594OCT if that helps
Rich
The filter is a bit burried away, but you should find it underneath a plastic cover just in front of the left hand rear wheel - follow the pipes down the floorpan... :)

Thanks in advance.
Y594OCT if that helps
Rich
Photo 1 - diesel heat exchanger
Photo 2 - Very early fuel lifter pump and Webasto pump
Photo 3 - same as above.
You need to look on the other side of the car in roughly the same location as the Webasto pump - it is on that side, silver metal canister.

Photo 1 - diesel heat exchanger
Photo 2 - Webasto pump
Photo 3 - same as above.
You need to look on the other side of the car in roughly the same location as the Webasto pump - it is on that side, silver metal canister. (if the cover is absent as mine was!)

amended with the additional very early fuel lifter pump on the diagram

Part 9 in both is the early canister filter type.

Perfect. Located. Thanks for the info.
I'll have to learn my left from my right 😭🤔

Attachments

• IMG_20230519_141203803.jpg
    IMG_20230519_141203803.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
Thanks for all the help people.
Much appreciated. Looks like this is THE group for help and advice.
Just wanted to add.. after changing the fuel filter, could not get it to start. Tried all the priming guides. Bought a syringe, no fuel at pump. Checked connections. Was about to throw the towel in.
Found an o ring missing, wasn't In the box.
Checked the old one and re used that.
Pic below

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_131450466.jpg
    IMG_20230522_131450466.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Back