Diesel Oil

The engine oil which I always use is Mobil 1 ESP 5w/30. It is 507 00 spec. Unlike Castrol Edge it is sold in 5 litre containers so there is enough for an oil change with the 1.4 TDI engine (about 4.3 litres). Halfords sometimes sell it at a reduced price.

Eurocarparts have regular sales on edge 5w30...often for between £24 and£27 for four litres.

Agreed; I use the latest VW 507.00 spec' 5W30. Although it's a LongLife oil, I change it every 10,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever comes first. Some might say this is a touch excessive, but I do love my A2!

If you're looking to be kind to your engine, you may consider running it with a small quantity of 2-stroke oil (strictly of specification API TC + ISO L-EGC + JASO FC) in the fuel tank. I've been doing so religiously for over a year and am totally sold. Make yourself a cup of tea and sit down for a good read... http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?19041-2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-anyone-tried-it

:)

Tom

Last edited:
As the A2 advances in age and mileage the importance of regular servicing and especially oil changes becomes ever important.
I always recommend an oil & filter change every 10k or annually, and, like many fastidious members, I always use the 507.000 spec LongLife oil.

On the subject of the 2 stroke oil - having run my TDi on it for a considerable period, I can recommend this "additive" for a smoother and quieter engine. I pre-mix 200ml 2T and 50ml Reddex and use it with every tankful.

After some research, I discovered that there is a locally available 2 stroke oil that meets the spec required, negating the need to source from abroad. I have recently concluded a business partnership agreement with Shell Oil and can offer members this oil at an attractive price - PM me for details.

blue skies
tony

I believe there are some differencies based on location... I ordered Castrol Edge from eBay Germany (one eBay "item" was 5+1 litre of Castrol Edge) and just received my order... So I have 5 litre containers and 1 litre bottles...

And what is best in this ebay order, oil is still clearly cheaper even with postages compared to prices in Finland...

Edit: This supposed to be answer to message from Paul...

Agreed; I use the latest VW 507.00 spec' 5W30. Although it's a LongLife oil, I change it every 10,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever comes first. Some might say this is a touch excessive, but I do love my A2!

If you're looking to be kind to your engine, you may consider running it with a small quantity of 2-stroke oil (strictly of specification API TC + ISO L-EGC + JASO FC) in the fuel tank. I've been doing so religiously for over a year and am totally sold. Make yourself a cup of tea and sit down for a good read... http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?19041-2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-anyone-tried-it

Tom

Hi Tom

How small is a small quantity?

Thanks

Danilo

Your 05-reg will have the larger of the two fuel tank sizes, which means you ought to be putting in 250ml of oil for every full tank of diesel.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom

Will give it a go and let you know how I get on. I've noted the specification. However should oil be added to every tank of diesel or for so many over a time then stop for a period? Just a thought.

Cheers

Danilo

Last edited:
I always add 2-stroke oil with every tank, though it's easy for me to do so because I always allow the fuel warning light to come on before proceeding to completely fill the tank. If you're the type to add fuel in a more haphazard manner, with varying amount each time, the whole 2-stroke thing can become a hassle.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom

Is there a particular brand of 2 stroke which is of the specification you have stated or are they all the same?

Cheers

Dan

So far, I know of two oils available in the UK that match the precise specification (Shell Advance VSX 2 and Motorex Two Stroke 2T), though I imagine there are more.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom
I also put about 200ml in mine when I fill up - just makes it a little quieter / also put it in my diesel BMW which makes a massive difference to how smooth it runs - recommended - although my research lead me to use FB grade / not sure of the difference?
I found that you should not use Synthetic 2 stroke oil !

Last edited:
hi, I'm a Petronas Lubricants salesman in Italy and an happy A2 tdi owner too..
please remember that never exist the "best oil" for a car: you must at first check the requirement of you car builder, viscosity grade ( important ! ) and then the specification.
Your car require a 5w40 oil with VW 505.01 spec for normal service intervals. You can also use VW 507.00 for extended service, but take care that this one will be a 5w30 or less viscosity, so you must get some refill in summer time...

You can imagine which oil I use in my car...
Anyway my advice is to choose among the brands that have the builder certification instead the self-certified oils.

You could get Mobil, Valvoline ( good ), Liquimoly ( not so easy to find but good ), or ... Petronas Syntium... just to say..;-)

About putting the 2 stroke oil in the tank...there's no actually any technical advantage.
If you want to make something better for you engine you could use a cleaning additive sometimes and a ceramic treatment for the engine, as Ceramic Power Liquid ( very expensive ) or Liquimoly Ceratec.

I'm using the Ceratec, and you need just to add it to the oil every 50.000km.

bye

Tom

Hi Tom
Filled up last night and put in 250ml of Shell Advance VX2. When driving to work this morning the engine seemed noticeably quieter when cold especially, and throughout the day its been quieter because on occasions I've been inadvertently revving it. This didn't happen hitherto! Early days yet so may improve as it continues. Or am I being optimistic?

Hi Tom
Filled up last night and put in 250ml of Shell Advance VX2. When driving to work this morning the engine seemed noticeably quieter when cold especially, and throughout the day its been quieter because on occasions I've been inadvertently revving it. This didn't happen hitherto! Early days yet so may improve as it continues. Or am I being optimistic?

Not at all! Ive noticed a huge change as well in my TDI90 as it got more torque and stronger so I didnt have go thru the gears as much and can now stay longer in them and at lower rpm.
I eventually did ditch the 2Stroke oil and now use Archoil's diesel addative. Works splendid and i only need 5ml as its so concentraded. Highly recommend their stuff. Does magic to my car. Been using 2stroke for 2 months and now ive been using a 250ml bottle for some 4months and i still plenty stuff left in the bottle.

Back