Dipstick End

CrispyEdd

United-Kingdom
My dipstick snapped apart in the middle whilst checking oil with a rag.

Does anyone recommend a glue to put it back together. I use dgrilla glue/superglue but the oil must be in the material now as that wasnt having any of it....

I don't fancy your chances of sticking one back together with any glue given the conditions in the engine. I did stick the replacement end on with Gorilla Glue though, but I cleaned then end of the wire with meths thoroughly first.

@depronman does 3D-printed dipstick ends, that you glue direct onto the wire of your dipstick after you've broken off the remains of the current end. Guess that was what @AndyP did.

My dipstick snapped apart in the middle whilst checking oil with a rag.

Does anyone recommend a glue to put it back together. I use dgrilla glue/superglue but the oil must be in the material now as that wasnt having any of it....
I had one of those printed ends, I'd cleaned and dried everything before gluing, but it came off on the first day. I had to remove the dipstick tube to fish out the broken part. It works for some, didn't work for me.
Luckily the engine on my A2 has got the 2nd dipstick hole from the polo engine, needed to buy a few parts, but now I can check oil level properly.
You can try the printed end, just don't get your hopes up, or check ebay, some might have one for cheaper than £50 o_O or vcds can show oil levels as well.

I had one of those printed ends, I'd cleaned and dried everything before gluing, but it came off on the first day. I had to remove the dipstick tube to fish out the broken part. It works for some, didn't work for me.
Luckily the engine on my A2 has got the 2nd dipstick hole from the polo engine, needed to buy a few parts, but now I can check oil level properly.
You can try the printed end, just don't get your hopes up, or check ebay, some might have one for cheaper than £50 o_O or vcds can show oil levels as well.
Top advice, what engine has second dipstick

I would just buy another dipstick from @CreweAudi - which reminds me I must purchase another spare as the current one replaced the previous installed by @Dave M in 2015 - that lasted just 7 years!

My own TDI has had one of my 3D printed ends fitted with super glue since 2017 and is still perfectly attached.
I've provided 200+ of these 3D printed dipstick ends for both the TDI's and the 1.4 petrols (apart from a small batch of 10off made from a material that subsequently proved after use to swell in the hot oil, which were all replaced free of charged) no one else has reported a problem with the ends I provide apart from sylvester.

My own TDI has had one of my 3D printed ends fitted with super glue since 2017 and is still perfectly attached.
I've provided 200+ of these 3D printed dipstick ends for both the TDI's and the 1.4 petrols (apart from a small batch of 10off made from a material that subsequently proved after use to swell in the hot oil, which were all replaced free of charged) no one else has reported a problem with the ends I provide apart from sylvester.
I didn't intend to step on anyone's toe, that was just my experience, perhaps that disptick end was just too shredded and the glue couldn't stick enough, as I mentioned it above, he'd probably try it as it's the cheapest ways. Cheers

You welcome Edd, already posted Cheers
The same has been on my tdi for over 2 years, the tip is much softer,less chance of breaking, also once in the tube very tight seal.

I have brand new ones for diesel, Good quality £20 plus postage.
Ami, by any chance do you know where/how I can get a dipstick tube, mine has broken off at the engine and cannot be saved, thought I’d try for a replacement before I get a bit creative with the garden hose.

You welcome Edd, already posted Cheers
The same has been on my tdi for over 2 years, the tip is much softer,less chance of breaking, also once in the tube very tight seal.
Hi Ami, assuming I am correct in understanding these are not OE, who makes your dipsticks? Or is it a pet / personal project to improve on the originals?

Back