Discoloured rear door cards

Jeetesh

Hi, I have a platinum (light grey) coloured interior and my rear door cards (plastic parts at the bottom near the speaker) have yellowed slightly, it’s strange as this has not happened at the front.

I’ve take a damp cloth to it but no change and it’s probably something that has happened over time.

Are there any ways to rejuvenate the plastic and get back to the light grey finish it was born with?

Thanks

Jeetesh

Hi, I have a platinum (light grey) coloured interior and my rear door cards (plastic parts at the bottom near the speaker) have yellowed slightly, it’s strange as this has not happened at the front.

I’ve take a damp cloth to it but no change and it’s probably something that has happened over time.

Are there any ways to rejuvenate the plastic and get back to the light grey finish it was born with?

Thanks

Jeetesh
Actually, slightly discoloured at the front too now I’ve looked properly.

That's a tough one....light coloured plastic trims like platinum or twist will inevitably degrade under the prolonged UV effects. This is a structural degradation of the plastic i.e. cannot be "washed away".
There was a recent discussion on the forum on this subject. There are few solutions but they can be quite hard-core involving a sort of bleaching process, which I personally would not attempt, unless you have a sacrificial test part.

Another solution is Gtechniq C4 trim restorer, which seems to be quite effective in bring life back to old, faded plastic trims parts. Again, there are few posts here re this subject/ product.

The ultimate solution would be to respray the plastic parts as volico.de offers the original Audi trim colors (platinum and twist).

Lastly I'd advise, during summer months (if the car is parked outside) to block the sun/ UV rays using a car cover or a half-car cover and treat the plastic parts with a good UV protector. Aerospace 303 seems to have a good reputation for this.

That's a tough one....light coloured plastic trims like platinum or twist will inevitably degrade under the prolonged UV effects. This is a structural degradation of the plastic i.e. cannot be "washed away".
There was a recent discussion on the forum on this subject. There are few solutions but they can be quite hard-core involving a sort of bleaching process, which I personally would not attempt, unless you have a sacrificial test part.

Another solution is Gtechniq C4 trim restorer, which seems to be quite effective in bring life back to old, faded plastic trims parts. Again, there are few posts here re this subject/ product.

The ultimate solution would be to respray the plastic parts as volico.de offers the original Audi trim colors (platinum and twist).

Lastly I'd advise, during summer months (if the car is parked outside) to block the sun/ UV rays using a car cover or a half-car cover and treat the plastic parts with a good UV protector. Aerospace 303 seems to have a good reputation for this.
I figured there was little I could do with it as I agree it will be deterioration due to age. I suspect however it’s probably a lack of UV light as the top part of the door card is fine and it’s just the bottom.

I thought I would ask on the forum to see if anyone else had tried to tackle it. I didn’t come up with anything by searching so maybe my key words were incorrect. Can you point me to the recent discussion as I can then read the thread. Ultimately I may not end up doing anything but I’ll read accordingly and decide from there.

thanks in advanced.

Jeetesh

Back