Displaying MPG in rear window?!

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Got a bit bored driving along A303 at 65 mph, foot just on the accellerator, trying to keep fuel economy above 60 mpg so idle thoughts turned to how to tell all the other driver's I'm doing my bit for the planet and also make them envious! If I'm getting 62 mpg overall then I guess I could be getting +70, maybe +75 mpg when ambling along at 65 mph.

Now I recall reading there is a diagnostic socket that one can connect to a PC - right? So could this be used to extract in real time fuel consumption and mileage (I guess the DIS is doing this) and then drive a matrix display in the rear window "I'm getting xxx MPG :) "

mpg lover

do you still have the insight?

be interested in doing a comparison run with the 1.2 TDI? 2 Adults plus luggage over say 100 miles - same course and time limited.

All in the name of science of course!

Cheers

Hi EcoAngel, sorry for the delay in replying.

Very brave of you to challenge the MPG King that is the Insight ;) However in reality I think it could be a very close run thing. At a steady 55mph or so the manual Insight would win with its lean-burn technology - compression ratio at 22:1 :eek: - achieving about 110MPG. Over a variable 100 mile course you are right, it would need a showdown. Shame therefore that I have sold my Insight. However I am on the lookout for a 2003 or younger UK spec Insight and when I manage to find one I am happy to meet your challenge.:)

Back to the original thread, I noticed on Top Gear last week that JC managed to buy a dot matrix sign for the back of the caravan stunt ride that would be highly suitable for displaying all sorts of messages!

Back