Do all 1.4 petrols sound like a bag of nails?

Went to look at this car today
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...vely-condition-full-history-taxmot/1053348117

1.4 SE with full service history. Cosmetically could do with a really good wash and polish - rear left of bumper has lost a big D shape piece of paint and not hanging right - bumper sitting slightly proud,ding of front passenger door and driver side skirt from front arch hanging low. Also drivers front headlight steamed up.Not 'lovely' condition after all. Interior wise it was better though with only rub on the climate buttons and clearly a smoker owner :mad:

It was the drive that was very disappointing though - started her up/ticking over and driving the engine sounded like a diesel -rattly and unrefined. Clutch also had a high biting point and throttle needed to be depressed an inch or so before revs kicked in and rocketed! It made me look like a learner driver!!!!

I take it this is not the driving experience of an A2 (petrol or diesel)? Claims on advert to have been fully serviced back in Feb but seller made statement it had its cambelt done at last service 12000 miles ago:confused: Didn't even look at the paperwork. Oil was as black as night sky and while no leaks when looking underneath car noticed front tyres bald on inside - drivers side was through to threads (cheap rubbish tyres all round too).

One to avoid I'm afraid in my opinion.

Was meant to look at the red diesel
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...mpg-new-timing-belt-fully-serviced/1052178555
En route seller phoned to delay as a buyer travelling from Leeds had booked tickets to view tomorrow and didn't want him to be out of pocket for tickets

Oh well. Hunt goes on!

The petrol 1.4s are sometimes very "tappety" and it is not normally a serious problem, most people live with it for years.
The tappets (Hydraulic cam follower cups!! or whatever everyone calls gthem) are expensive and so unless it is like a sewing machine from inside the car, it is normally nothing to worry about.

But it sounds like it was one to avoid.

Check autotrader (watch out for scammers, never use any contact details shown in the photos! and watch out for suspiciously low prices
I set up an automatic search, so I get a daily email of all of the tdis that go on there.
DO the same for eBay and just keep your eyes pealed.

If you spot anything miles away you will sometimes find a local member that would give it a quick look over to save you a journey (if it is q "wrong un" it is sometimes VERY obvious in the flesh.

Steve B

Could well be exactly that Steve. Wife used to have a Corsa 1 litre and it had a recognisable tappety sound - easy to identify for me like a Scooby burble. Louder than id want though. Maybe put the search on the trader. The tdi in Stirling at 2.2k went within 8 hours yesterday!!! Off for Easter hols in a week or so - be able to move quick on anything that jumps up!

my former 1.4 was very quiet, you'd harly notice the engine noise... unless revving it.

my former 1.4 was very quiet, you'd harly notice the engine noise... unless revving it.

Yes, they are VERY quiet especially inside the car.
I was used to a TDI and when I drove the 1.4 petrol it was so quiet you literally couldn't tell if the engine was running or not, no vibrations on the gear stick even.

But outside up close to the bonnet you could hear a little tappet noise. Some A2s have noisier tappets than others. But they are rarely a problem. After all, they are called "tappets" for that reason. They TAP!!!!!

Steve B

Last edited:
Reactions: fbi
The tappety noise was INSIDE the cabin and while driving. Noise never got any louder as the revs increased but always there. Car now removed from sale at the mo - prob down to tyres being so incredibly dangerous!

The tappety noise was INSIDE the cabin and while driving. Noise never got any louder as the revs increased but always there. Car now removed from sale at the mo - prob down to tyres being so incredibly dangerous!

It could be the bonnet tapping. The parts where the bonnet slides into wear and cause a tapping noise inside the cabin. Get someone to hold the edges of the bonnet while you sit inside and listen.

My 1.4 is tappety, worse when cold but as a few say its really only noticeable outside the car when idling. On the open road I never really notice. Service history on mine is "ok" not ignored but by no means cosseted (prior to my ownership).

Back