Does VCDS Rel. 20.4.2 Have an Issue?

G

Guest 4123

I have been trying all week to get my A2 through a transmission basic setting. The problem started after I had removed the starter motor to solve the starter squeal. Put the motor back and guess what, no start! Checked the starter circuit and all OK. No relevant error messages apart from those resulting from disconnections. So I assumed that the gearbox controller (which can inhibit starting if there is something amiss) was preventing starting. This means that the basic setting was lost as a result of disconnecting the battery - it shouldn't have been. This was proven by the engine starting during the second phase of the basic setting. However when it got to the "SEARCHNG" phase, it would stick with no reduction in the actuator voltage. It has been doing this all week. This morning I found an older version of VCDS, 18.9.1 and tried that. It worked first time!

I will contact Ross Tech.

RAB

Having changed 3 starter motors on 3 different A2s I've never had a problem with them starting on the replacements.
Are the earth cables attached?

This is where the real differnces start to show through between the more conventional A2s and the truly unique 3L or 1.2 tdi automatic. Have you accidentally disturbed any linkages. Strange the car has lost basic settings after disconnecting power, may be a more serious issue lurking.

Having changed 3 starter motors on 3 different A2s I've never had a problem with them starting on the replacements.
Are the earth cables attached?
The problem wasn't the starter motor but after removing it and putting it back with the consequent failure to start, your first thought is that the problem is the starter motor!

RAB

This is where the real differnces start to show through between the more conventional A2s and the truly unique 3L or 1.2 tdi automatic. Have you accidentally disturbed any linkages. Strange the car has lost basic settings after disconnecting power, may be a more serious issue lurking.
Nothing to do with linkages; the initial start with the basic setting proved that it was the gearbox control unit that was preventing starting. It's not unknown for at least part of the basic setting to be lost without even disconnecting the battery! My wife's Lupo 3L once spontaneously lost it's creep setting. You would start the engine, release the brake and the car would bunny jump and stall the engine! Another basic setting cured the problem. I never go to France without VCDS (now I'll be taking at least two versions)!

RAB

Nothing to do with linkages; the initial start with the basic setting proved that it was the gearbox control unit that was preventing starting. It's not unknown for at least part of the basic setting to be lost without even disconnecting the battery! My wife's Lupo 3L once spontaneously lost it's creep setting. You would start the engine, release the brake and the car would bunny jump and stall the engine! Another basic setting cured the problem. I never go to France without VCDS (now I'll be taking at least two versions)!

RAB

Hi Rab,
That is a very good idea I always have the latest version & leave a previous edition as a safety measure.
Keith

You wonder how Ross Tech test this part of the software. Almost certainly not with a 1.2Tdi! We're the testers!

RAB

Back