Door dent repair advice

Beagles

My A2 has a ding in the nearside front door from a previous owner and I would like to get rid of it.

However, every PDR company I have spoken to have said that they can't fix it.
I have had quotes from bodyshops between £200 and £400 although I'm not sure they've realised that it's an A2 so is made of aluminium (which I think I've read makes it more difficult to repair?).
I've seen a second hand A2 door in the right colour from an online breaker that looks fairly pristine for £50 although it's a fair drive away and they don't say how much they'd charge to fit it (but do say that they would).

There's nothing wrong with my door other than being cosmetically a bit of an eyesore, what would people suggest?
Bodyshop? Second hand door? Live with it?!
I'm based in SW London if that helps.

This is the offending bump
IMG_20181028_163743691.jpg

Try to find a good replacement door in the same colour. Because of the location of the dent, a body shop won't be able to get it 100% perfect with filler.

If both cars are from 2001 onwards then it will be a unbolt- bolt on job.

Yeah that is a bit of a nasty dent, I always find having one dent keeps away any further dents, once you repair that one another will appear...
I would go for the replacement door if its a matching colour, then you get that feeling of achievement that you repaired it yourself and its a good chance to learn about the mechanisms of the door.

Good luck, John

Yes, as above, replace the door. What year is the car?
Get the door delivered, it should be only two bolts and a electrical connector, I’ve done it if you need help and I’m in Staines, not far I guess?

I had two dented doors for years and just as @Axit suggests it avoided further dents. Park the good side into a corner and nobody would go near the car. Replaced the doors late last year and so far no new dents :).
Replacing a door is almost plug and bolt but if you want to avoid a moldy door card and an unreliable lock mechanism the sealing of the mounting plate and the internals of the door have to be spot on. If you decide to do the job @Beagles I have pictures for a thread on the subject of sealing doors that I never found time to write.

Reactions: Vic
Have you had the PDR companies out to look at the job or just quotes over the phone? I had a similar, but smaller, dent in my old TDI thanks to a colleagues actions in the works car park many years ago. From recollection it was around the same area and there weren't any side impact reinforcement bars in the way, so was resolved 100% with PDR.

If the door is otherwise in good order, I'd still check out a few alternative PDR companies if I were you. There are no guarantees in opting for another door that it hasn't been sprayed at some point and you may be unhappy with the colour match still.

Good luck.

Try to find a good replacement door in the same colour. Because of the location of the dent, a body shop won't be able to get it 100% perfect with filler.

If both cars are from 2001 onwards then it will be a unbolt- bolt on job.
Steve, can you elaborate on the post 2001 comment please? What changed? I’ve just bought the part to replace my driver’s door panel, and I’m hoping it will be ok...

Yes, as above, replace the door. What year is the car?
Get the door delivered, it should be only two bolts and a electrical connector, I’ve done it if you need help and I’m in Staines, not far I guess?
Car is from late 2001. Staines isn't too far so may well take you up on that offer at some point...

Have you had the PDR companies out to look at the job or just quotes over the phone? I had a similar, but smaller, dent in my old TDI thanks to a colleagues actions in the works car park many years ago. From recollection it was around the same area and there weren't any side impact reinforcement bars in the way, so was resolved 100% with PDR.

If the door is otherwise in good order, I'd still check out a few alternative PDR companies if I were you. There are no guarantees in opting for another door that it hasn't been sprayed at some point and you may be unhappy with the colour match still.

Good luck.
So far have had three PDR companies over email say that it wasn't possible, will try some more and see what they say.

Buy a good door, put it away safely in the loft and continue driving with the dent. You will be carefree shopping in the supermarket and your quest for perfection will be satisfied.

Buy a good door, put it away safely in the loft and continue driving with the dent. You will be carefree shopping in the supermarket and your quest for perfection will be satisfied.
That's what I did for 3 years. I don't mind something being broken providing I have the bits and skills to fix it.

Steve, can you elaborate on the post 2001 comment please? What changed? I’ve just bought the part to replace my driver’s door panel, and I’m hoping it will be ok...

Pre 2001 cars have a different wiring loom to post 2001 (51) cars. It will just mean that you have to strip the door down to change the loom over. About an hours work start to finish if you've done it before. A little longer if a novice

Pre 2001 cars have a different wiring loom to post 2001 (51) cars. It will just mean that you have to strip the door down to change the loom over. About an hours work start to finish if you've done it before. A little longer if a novice
How do you tell the age of a door?

Back