Door swap, 53 plate FSI door to 55 plate TDI 75

johnyfartbox

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Hi lads and lassies, here's a question for you. Today the drivers side door was swapped over, mine was removed and replaced with another, straight swap, no problem until it came to locking said fresh door. I was advised that the wiring changed from the very early X and Y reg models but the donor door was from a 53 plate FSI and put on my 55 plate TDI 75 and when pressing the lock button on the fob the doors locked apart from the replacement door. The windows on the replacement door didn't work either so we took the wiring from my door and swapped it over to the donor door, are you still with me or have you nodded off?
We also swapped the window winder motor over because we saw that it had a different serial number than the other of the donor car.

So all that done and the door now locks with all the others, result or so we thought. We then found that the window up down switches were not working, the up down switch works fine on the passenger door though, oh and the red led alarm light on the door is no longer flashing after locking the car.

Any thoughts??

You know FSI's are problematic, the door Is just keeping up the reputation!

You have demonstrated the wiring is different between the doors so by implication does this not suggest different connector pin layout, assuming the same number of wires? If you swapped your old window switch, housing, connectors to the new door it has got to work.

Andy

Our thoughts also, the door card from my door was then fixed to the donor door along with all the wiring from my original door, even the speaker was swapped. The only thing we didn't swap was the door lock mechanism but that works fine.

I'd re-check the plug for the window switch is still in the window motor properly. I've had this a couple of times when swapping doors and it's just that the window switch isn't plugged in far enough

Oh, and the key fob although locks all doors and tailgate, it does not close the passenger side window when you hold the lock button down, I've just tried it by leaving the passenger side window down and had to close it with the switch on the passenger door.

Steve, you were bang on with your idea......door card off, unlipped the conector pictured, and pushed it in again and hey presto.........everything works .
lesson learned, thanks for the other suggestions guys....lol.............:) .
DSC_0078.jpg

I misread this for a minute and assumed that you were fitting a donor Tdi vehicle to your FSI door to get your FSI working (in an extreme rendition of the Trigger's broom story)..

Back