Door won’t unlock

Jayw13702

A2OC Donor
For every job I do on project second chance another decides to appear, however this one may be of my doing.

a few weeks ago I fitted a new door lock mechanism to the NS door, it was at this point that I found out there was no wiring loom and so I put out a wanted ad.
The lock was tested in so far as the door opens from the inside and outside with the handles.
One very kindly appeared but I haven’t had a chance to fit it recently as I’ve been busy with front suspension, other cars and weddings!!!!!!

now when I fitted the new lock the door wouldn’t lock, so I moved the red cam that sits on top of the lock so as to secure the car. I have a feeling this is where my issues started.
So today I’ve gone to connect the loom to the lock and get it all working. Wrongly I’ve assumed that by using the internal door handle that would override the door lock. The handle is connected to the lock and it moves the wire but it doesn’t trigger the door latch to unlock.

After a bit of pushing and shoving I managed to get the door card off so I could get inside, the thinking was if I could power up the lock maybe it would release.

powered up the lock and tried the key fob, when I lock the car there is a clunk from the motor/mechanism and the red cam tried to move, when I unlock there’s nothing

it feels like the dead locking is stuck on and whilst the internal and external handles are connected they are not able to trigger the lock to open the door.

ive managed to get a few pictures, I don’t know if this will help

36F9D842-9048-4098-B2AC-74FB396ED07C.jpeg

115CF298-AEEF-4B80-B398-00E70094DD8E.jpeg

That is literally as good as I can get.
Vcds is showing the lock as being there and no errors.

any suggestions?

I am assuming this is a rear door lock? So if you disconnect the wiring loom, can you reach the red cam and manually rotate it to unlocked? Try to move the cam with a bent coat hanger on a strong point to prevent (more) damage to the plastic. CCCU could have been confused receiving a deadlocked door when the rest was open. If you successfully manage to rotate the cam and the lock opens from both inside and outside handles, then disconnect the battery from both terminals. Connect the loom to the lock, touch both battery LEADS together to disipate any electrical power then reconnect the battery. Resynch the remotes and windows as required then check the car locks all doors, but have at least 2 windows down just incase. Assuming the cam has not been forced over center, the cam should reset. Why did you rotate the cam rather than just disconnect the outside door handle?

I am assuming this is a rear door lock? So if you disconnect the wiring loom, can you reach the red cam and manually rotate it to unlocked? Try to move the cam with a bent coat hanger on a strong point to prevent (more) damage to the plastic. CCCU could have been confused receiving a deadlocked door when the rest was open. If you successfully manage to rotate the cam and the lock opens from both inside and outside handles, then disconnect the battery from both terminals. Connect the loom to the lock, touch both battery LEADS together to disipate any electrical power then reconnect the battery. Resynch the remotes and windows as required then check the car locks all doors, but have at least 2 windows down just incase. Assuming the cam has not been forced over center, the cam should reset. Why did you rotate the cam rather than just disconnect the outside door handle?

This is passenger front door lock, I am able to move the red cam but it doesn’t stay in position, it always goes back to where it is pictured.
I haven’t tried disconnecting the battery yet, that will be my attempt tomorrow, as for leaving the handle disconnected…..I didn’t consider it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then mine is unlocked.

when I locked it I did so from the access hole in the door, I turned the red cam back towards the flat metal heel that is sat to the right of the red cam in your picture.
I can move the cam, when I do I am doing it from the flat surface that the metal heel makes contact with

Your picture above looks locked to me. Try with it electrically disconnected and the cam unlocked. Go through the process above to see if that works. There may be an underlying reason the loom was missing from your car....Perhaps damaged wiring or a CCCU issue? If you disconnect the loom from the door controller and apply the voltages does the lock work? If so then the issue is between the door controller and the CCCU.

I’ll try that tomorrow.

when I got the car the cccu was dead so a new one with fobs was bought. The old lock in the passenger door has been butchered and had no multi plug or red cam on it at all

I’ll try disconnected and moving the cam as well to see if it will unlock.

my chief concern is finding that this lock is bricked and then having to find a way to get it off the car

Were the locks compatible? The early locks do not play nice with the later cars and vice versa. Guess would be CAN issues. Sorry can't remember which pins to power up but think someone else posted on here recently about it. I did ask timmus before but he never responded.

May have just found it...

Have a read of this...

When you pull on the cable can you give the lock a little more assistance? Is that then enough to open the lock? It the rod to operate the lock from the outside handle correctly adjusted and locked? For these locks to open each of the operating modes must travel their full distance to allow the lock to reset.
Have you tried with the wiring loom disconnected. Once open then reconnect.

When you pull on the cable can you give the lock a little more assistance? Is that then enough to open the lock? It the rod to operate the lock from the outside handle correctly adjusted and locked? For these locks to open each of the operating modes must travel their full distance to allow the lock to reset.
Have you tried with the wiring loom disconnected. Once open then reconnect.

Tried disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it, but didn’t do anything.
Tried powering up the motor by using the power in to the door on the main multi-plug and using pins seven and nine on the locking motor loom, that made no difference.
Have disconnected the external door handle and pulled the mechanism On that side and still it is not unlocking.

It is as though both the internal side and the external side have become disconnected from the actual lock mechanism that is connecting to the striker plate. I can get both of them to travel full distance but neither of them have any resistance as though they are trying to open a lock

Does the little extra push while operating the cable make any difference? Just seams strange to me that it was working until you manually rotated the red cam. Is there anything loose or stuck in the mechanism? Have you reset the red cam the reverse of how you operated it manually? The cam is spring loaded if I remember correctly.

Does the little extra push while operating the cable make any difference? Just seams strange to me that it was working until you manually rotated the red cam. Is there anything loose or stuck in the mechanism? Have you reset the red cam the reverse of how you operated it manually? The cam is spring loaded if I remember correctly.

The cam won’t reset, it keeps springing back to that point where it is currently

Have just run vcds and got this error

2c8e80110201f1d27ae40505ffe90338.jpg

I would say you are in the market for another replacement lock.
did you read my linked post above especially post #17?
Battery, CCCU and door controller could be culprits all before you get angry being destructive. As said it was butchered before for a reason...

I would say you are in the market for another replacement lock.
did you read my linked post above especially post #17?
Battery, CCCU and door controller could be culprits all before you get angry being destructive. As said it was butchered before for a reason...

Have run another vcds, this thing is all over the place!!!!!

Car battery is new and has good voltage getting to it.
Cccu was replaced when I first got the car with a known working one, that said there’s nothing to say it hasn’t died since

48bd74774a7ec2e90a555001535a30e6.jpg

If locks are not mechanically blocked, cold joints on the pcb could be the reason.
Rear door locks can be removed without dismatling upper door, window part.

Back