Double DIN conversion

g-lobo

Just purchased a 2001 Tdi with 64,000 miles.

The original ICE has been swapped out for a Sony unit that lacks functionality with my iPhone 5. I should like to replace this with something fully compatible, allowing hands-free telephony, control of the phone and giving better sound (perhaps after upgrading speakers)

Focusing on the head unit, I wondered if anyone has successfully installed a double-DIN unit in a single-DIN dashboard? On the surface of it there should be enough overall room if the climate-control unit could be relocated into the storage space below it.

Thanks in advance

Colin

Hi colin

Ive Actually done this the cheaper way leaving in the standard single din dash , its easily done if youv got someone who can fabricate you two brackets which need welding to the sides of a full size aftermarket double din cage, after removing your single din radio and cubby hole and a/c unit youl see alloy supports running from the top of the dash to the center tunnel right at the back in the depths of the dash, youl see several unused holes on either side up close to where the back of the radio would be, the brackets coming off the double din cage would need to align with these holes so the double din cage can be bolted in securly, the hardest or longest part is reshaping a A6 radio facia and the climate A/C facia.

-Gary

031-2.jpg960 (2).jpg960 (3).jpg960.jpg

I found these on the russian net (or polish could be too;) ) . I am planning to build in a pioneer avic F940BT this summer. ALready in house. I think it isn;t that much problem to do. I build a 2 din in our 2003 ford Ka as well, full functional...

Focusing on the head unit, I wondered if anyone has successfully installed a double-DIN unit in a single-DIN dashboard?
Colin

I've done this twice, the second time being only a few weeks ago. It is pretty easy, actually. Firstly, you need to obtain the alloy double-DIN cage. It can't be purchased from Audi but you may well obtain one from a Breakers, the A2OC or Ebay?. You will need to fabricate two small fixing brackets and pop-rivet them in place in the dash opening. There is also a little cutting and fettling, but it's no problem!

David

The German guys on A2-freun.de have converted a few cars this way. I was wondering how many people in the UK have done the conversion instead of the full dash swap. I'd be tempted to convert myself...or ask someone else to do it for me.

Hi gents.
I want a double din installed - got a single now.
Looking for options for replacement of stero.

I.e. heard that the pioneer is a good alternative and also found this on ebay.....
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200933134709

So.something along this line.
Is there anyone on here that can do it for me ?
Happy to pay etc.

Cheers. Andrew

Hi gents.
I want a double din installed - got a single now.
Is there anyone on here that can do it for me ?
Cheers. Andrew

There's a lot involved in doing this .... I've done it twice and I'll soon have what you need to do this (well, I suppose I've got it now). I can do it for you and I see that you live close to me. I suggest you have a good look on this Forum for lots more information. Dash removal is a fairly big job .... have you got alternative transport whilst it's being done? I can modify your Single-DIN dash to take the Double-DIN cage and I've got one of those, too. Get in touch when you've had a think about it.

David

David.

Your post says can be done without dash removal?
Also what system have you put in ? Any pictures ?
Where abouts are you?
How much will.it be ?

Thanks Andrew

David.

Your post says can be done without dash removal?
Also what system have you put in ? Any pictures ?
Where abouts are you?
How much will.it be ?

Thanks Andrew

Sorry to dig up an old (but unresolved) thread...
Andrew - did you get it done in the end?
David - how long are you finding it takes you to do the conversion now?
Thanks, Ollie

Andrew is David doing it for you? Which head unit did you go for in the end? Still the dash installed method?

Andrew is David doing it for you?

No, it's not me! It's all a long time ago, now! A dash-change can be done in a day. To modify a single-DIN dash to double shouldn't take much longer. I'd say that it's best to start with the replacement dash already purchased (or just the cage).There are people on this Forum who have done this without removing the dash at all. Double-Din cages (not Audi) are readily available on the Internet. No mystique, there .... they simply hold any Double-DIN unit. So you'd cut away and brace a suitable opening in the existing dash. Then you'd offer-up the new cage. It would be obvious if and additional brackets are needed. They are fabricated from thin alloy plate or angle. Simple pop-riveting locates those brackets and the cage is in place! I have not actually done this on an A2 but I have JUST done a major mod on my Mercedes SLK which was just as I've outlined!

David

If we are on subject. I would be interested to buy a double din console. I believe this one is the correct. Does anyone have for sale?

51EtymZzhIL._SX355_.jpg

That clears it up nicely. Glad to see you are a lot better Tom. Thanks for the explanation David. Surprised to learn not much time difference between mod or replacing the dash. Great work both of you.

Surprised to learn not much time difference between mod or replacing the dash. Great work both of you.

The double-DIN cage has two screw attachment points behind the centre vents. They're an integral part of the installation of the double-DIN cage into a single-DIN dash, but can only be accessed by removing the dash and flipping it upside-down.
So, if you are going to convert a single-DIN dash to double-DIN by retrofitting the metal cage, I'd suggest it's a much longer job than a straightforward swap, because you have to remove the single-DIN dash, install the cage properly, and then reinstall the dash.

Cheers,

Tom

Yes, I must admit that I do like to do things "right" and I'll spend a ridiculous amount of time to perfect things! However I do admire other members efforts and I know that it's been shown as possible to do this without removing the dash or, ( I think ), with using the the substantial alloy Audi A2 cage. I personally do think that this is possible. Now the point to make here is that, as long as the double-DIN unit is robustly secured, then everything is hidden and there's nothing to show how the end-result was achieved? So a massive saving in both expenditure and labour. I'd probably give this a go ..... because I do so like a challenge!

David

Back