Drivers door lock barrel removal??

stevec

Wales
Hi all. How easy is it to remove/replace the drivers door lock barrel. Any special tools needed etc
Thanks Steve

Steve,

Easy enough. There is a black plug on the door shut in line with the lock, remove and you should see a torx bolt. Unscrew carefully while ensuring pressure applied as this will rotate the captive ring then try at regular intervals to pull lock out by hand. It will be stiff and don’t undo the torx screw too much.

From the manual, very easy job.
Removing lock cylinder and door handle
a2-797.png

1 - Lock cylinder
q Removing:
Pull door handle outwards and hold it in this position.
Use socket wrench -T10072- to turn screw -arrow C- as far as stop in anti-clockwise direction.
Once the screw has been unscrewed the door handle will be locked in the outward position → Fig..
Use key to pull lock cylinder out of door handle mounting.
2 - Door handle mounting
q Removing → Item.
3 - Door handle
q Before removing, detach lock cylinder.
q Pull door handle towards the rear and remove towards the outside.
q When installing, ensure that seal on door handle is inserted behind door panel.
q The retaining tab must engage above the catch mechanism → Anchor.

Locking door handle in place
Once you have used screw -2- to turn the catch mechanism -1- as far as the stop, the door handle will be locked in place in the outward position -arrow-.
A57-0259
Screw C is the one behind the black plastic bung, just be careful popping it of that you do not scratch the paint. That is all that holds the key lock in the door. No need to take the door panel off. All done from the outside of the door.

If you need to make the key match I did this

From the manual, very easy job.

Screw C is the one behind the black plastic bung, just be careful popping it of that you do not scratch the paint. That is all that holds the key lock in the door. No need to take the door panel off. All done from the outside of the door.

Thank you for this. I'm going to have to do it too, when I swap my driver's door for a better one that I've got waiting to go on. It's now going to be a lot easier than I thought :)

Just unscrew the little torx screw slowly and when you feel resistance STOP. If you keep going the screw will come out completely and drop into the door lock mechanism.

Hi all. 2.5hrs working on A2, most of which messing around swapping door lock barrels over, as Audi decided to use different housings for A2+A4 models. But doug is back, with a fully functional ignition and door lock.
Thanks all for your help
Steve
P. S. Should have bought 2nd hand A2 door/ignition locks. A4 are suitable but wouldn't want to do the door lock barrel swap again. What a pita

Glad Doug is fully functional again. Didn't realise the replacements were ex A4, I know the issues with the housings are very annoying. Good time to replace all the remote batteries, peace of mind. Same reason I replace the batteries every year.

Glad Doug is fully functional again. Didn't realise the replacements were ex A4, I know the issues with the housings are very annoying. Good time to replace all the remote batteries, peace of mind. Same reason I replace the batteries every year.
Good shout on batteries. Will replace asap. On a plus point I've gained 2 genuine remote keys as spares.

Back