Driver's side window - was squeaky, now not working

EWA2

Hello all,

My '03 diesel A2 had a squeaky window on the driver's side. I didn't think much of it and figured with a car of this age, a squeaky window was a minor issue. Yesterday morning I put the electric window down to do a car park entry thing, then put it back up when I parked. I wanted to leave it open a little for ventilation but it wouldn't go down again. Passenger side goes down without issue.
Previously, I had been able to press and hold the open button and the windows would go down - that no longer works.
I've spoken to my mechanic and he said from what I had described, it might be a broken/snapped cable. They are expensive to come by and the work to fit/replace is time consuming i.e. also expensive.
Has anyone experienced anything similar? I love my car - I'm not ready to part ways

Previously, I had been able to press and hold the open button and the windows would go down - that no longer works.
Can you confirm that none of the windows go down when you try this, or is it just the driver's that is affected?

The door controller may have just got confused, sometimes this can be solved by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.
It could also be the CCS that is playing up.

Find a different mechanic

Which window do you need? If it comes to having to replace Its easier to just replace the whole frame, I have them in stock

Can you confirm that none of the windows go down when you try this, or is it just the driver's that is affected?

The door controller may have just got confused, sometimes this can be solved by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.
It could also be the CCS that is playing up.
Only the front windows are electric. Neither of them go down when I push the button on my key fob. I will try the battery thing for sure

Find a different mechanic

Which window do you need? If it comes to having to replace Its easier to just replace the whole frame, I have them in stock
It would be a UK driver's side front - How much is a new frame?

To me, this sounds like an electrical issue, not an issue with the frame. If the cables had become detached, you'd still be able to operate the windows using the key fob; the passenger side window would go up and down as normal, and you'd hear the broken parts clattering about within the driver's door.
I'd suggest that the mostly likely source of the problem is the driver's door control module (possibly just a software glitch that'll be reset by disconnecting the battery). However, it could also be a wiring fault or a dodgy switch, etc.
Much as I don't wish to deprive @A2Steve of the sale of a window frame, I believe this problem needs further investigation before any parts are purchased.

Cheers,

Tom

With time window cables can extend causing mechanical resistance when closing.
When window control unit detects motor "fighting" that resistance it will slide window down a bit.
After a few tries it will disable automatic closing and after a few more stop working for some time to protect the motor.
If it resumes after power reset (pulling a fuse / disconnecting pillar connector or battery) it is most likely a mechanical problem.
For the first solution option try greasing window channels with a small amount of silicone spray.

Last edited:
Go with the previous advise. Disconnect negative lead from the car battery and go and have a coffee / tea. Reconnect battery try windows. Replace battery in your remote and resynch fob to the car, reset one touch for the windows at the same time. Open the front windows and clean and lubricate the channels the windows run in. Hopefully all good.

Back