Dual pump overhaul?

Vantagemech

Are they worth doing or just bite the bullet and replace the whole thing?
My brake servo is losing assistance and I found diesel in the vacuum hose which would indicate a fuel leak into the vacuum side. What's concerning me is where the fuel leaking is going, I read the other side of the vacuum pump returns to the sump? Is this correct? If so I won't risk driving it as there might be an issue with fuel in the sump, though the oil level is spot on and it only started playing up on the way home Thursday. Any suggestions appreciated!

Steve

I faced this dilemma earlier this year.I was considering the service kit and gasket as it was cheaper.However with mine at 167k I thought the pump would be too worn.So I chose to replace it with a better Bosch pump instead.This wasn't exactly straight forward on an ATL because of the flap motor position.If you choose a new one cross reference part numbers for your car/engine

Mines done 135k, to be honest I could do with not spending another £200 on it... She is costing about £100 a month on average at the moment to keep going... But seeing fuel in the vacuum side does make me wonder that its not going to be just a worn seal. With replacement Is it a case of looking at the make thats on it now or is it done by engine number? I see the cheapest option is a Bosch @ £180 ish.

Mines done 135k, to be honest I could do with not spending another £200 on it... She is costing about £100 a month on average at the moment to keep going... But seeing fuel in the vacuum side does make me wonder that its not going to be just a worn seal. With replacement Is it a case of looking at the make thats on it now or is it done by engine number? I see the cheapest option is a Bosch @ £180 ish.
I would definitely check first,but as I understand the 75's will fit Luk and Bosch.But 90's (ATL) it's the luk.But I managed to fit the Bosch.Its the same footprint but the casing is slightly different causing intake flap motor body to foul on the pump.I totally understand your position on "is it worth it".But 135k isn't quite end of life.Mines on 171k and not showing it had enough.Check out the thread on highest mileage.

Well I used the eBay 20% discount and have a Bosch pump and gasket turning up Tuesday, for £156. It does however mean I have to do my weekly commute in the bimmer at 34mpg.... Probably be double the A2 £££.…..

I would be very careful to check which diesel pump is compatible with your engine. My understanding from having to do this in the summer was that AMF are tolerant of LUK or Bosch pumps ; whereas BHC and ATL are troublesome with the Bosch due to different pipework around the EGR (?) that fouls on the Bosch pump when in situ. I fitted a Bosch to my 284k AMF without (much) issue (and the mechanic at my garage re-fitted it properly at MOT time with a new gasket and without the continued slight leak on this occasion).

Mine is an AMF - 75bhp with improved performance... so hopefully when I return next week I will fit it Friday and get back to using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back