Earth cable location for starter TDi75

Pinkythelabrat

A2OC Donor
I know that this is often discussed and many times the solution to hesitant starting is ‘check the earth cable behind the passenger headlight’. I’m all for it but I CAN’T FIND IT!

I’ve looked at Sarge’s pic and can see on the diagram where it should be but I just can’t see it myself. Headlight out and head torch on - de nada!

I am a numpty but can someone PLEASE do me a solid and take a picture with a big circle saying ‘here idiot’ or similar?

My starting is hesitant and I’ve got a 6 month old Varta F19 (or something - the one Mike suggested) and an 18month old alternator. I’d just like to check it’s not something simple before looking at a new starter motor. I’ve just shelled out about £1200 on the car so need to be parsimonious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that this is often discussed and many times the solution to hesitant starting is ‘check the earth cable behind the passenger headlight’. I’m all for it but I CAN’T FIND IT!

I’ve looked at Sarge’s pic and can see on the diagram where it should be but I just can’t see it myself. Headlight out and head torch on - de nada!

I am a numpty but can someone PLEASE do me a solid and take a picture with a big circle saying ‘here idiot’ or similar?

My starting is hesitant and I’ve got a 6 month old Varta F19 (or something - the one Mike suggested) and an 18month old alternator. I’d just like to check it’s not something simple before looking at a new starter motor. I’ve just shelled out about £1200 on the car so need to be parsimonious.

Not circles but arrows. Here , courtesy of @Birdfish.

Andy

I presume the £1200 was to get it through the mot? Worth noting, the earth strap in question has a habit of hiding the issue behind the plastic at the end. It's prone to corrosion (one of ours broke off with minimal effort).

Thanks people! It could have gone through MOT for about £950. I added some extras. ‘while you are in there’ are dangerous words.

Thanks Andy. That won’t load for me at the moment but it could be because I’m in a castle and they don’t seem to have considered internet and phone signals during the construction.

That was short sighted, had similar issues at Dalhousie recently. :) Not that my house is much better with 18" thick walls.

Perfect! Thank you!

I think I would NEVER have found that. Maybe having a red chassis helps?

Cheers for the offer Murdo - hopefully I can manage but it’s good to know I’ve got options.

Just need to wait until next weekend to get the car back now...

My tdi75 suffered from slow engine turnover on the starter even in the slightest bit of cold weather.

All my earths and cables tested ok, so I stripped the starter motor down as far as I could.

Cleaned and lubed the whole thing and intended to fit new brushes, but the ones supplied, were wrong, so I refaced and refitted the old ones.

The engine now turns over much more quickly than it did before, even when cold.

My tdi75 suffered from slow engine turnover on the starter even in the slightest bit of cold weather.

All my earths and cables tested ok, so I stripped the starter motor down as far as I could.

Cleaned and lubed the whole thing and intended to fit new brushes, but the ones supplied, were wrong, so I refaced and refitted the old ones.

The engine now turns over much more quickly than it did before, even when cold.

I love how easy you make that sound! ‘Refaced and refitted the old ones’!

If you can’t do it with a screw driver and a bit of sandpaper I’m probably out of my depth!

Ha!

Well, the brushes had worn out of square, so I just ground them square again on my bench grinder and polished the working surface with fine wet and dry.

You'll need a short length of tube to get them back in without damage....

Sandpaper and a small screwdriver are definitely needed!

Not a difficult job, just fiddly, honest!!

Back