ECU 1.6 BAD Engine

Chand

Morning People,

I may have the opportunity to obtain an spare ECU for my 1.6 sport . I was wondering if the ECU from an other 1.6 Bad engine code will work or not. can any one advise?

I may have the opportunity to obtain an spare ECU for my 1.6 sport . I was wondering if the ECU from an other 1.6 Bad engine code will work or not. can any one advise?

Unless the immobiliser has been disabled on the donor vehicle beforehand, it won't work, since the immobiliser will cut in after a couple of seconds.

On the other hand, you could use that second ECU as an exchange for the Pro Boost remapped version, which ships with the immobiliser disabled.

Unless the immobiliser has been disabled on the donor vehicle beforehand, it won't work, since the immobiliser will cut in after a couple of seconds.

On the other hand, you could use that second ECU as an exchange for the Pro Boost remapped version, which ships with the immobiliser disabled.

If I still had an FSI along a spare ECU, going forward to the Pro Boost would be a no brainier.

This awesome offering @A2Steve is helping the forum out with has some very good feedback already, just brilliant!

Makes me think of getting another FSI to to tinker with.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi All thanks for your advice in regards the spare ECU.
My aim or plan once a few things are sorted on my car is a few mods. Will keep it as simple as possible and cost affective not looking to go over board. Tera Clean is 1st and will report my findings once the lock down has been lifted and I can get my appointment to have this done.
The remap may not even happen once the clean has been done.
The clean is preventive maintainers based on the FSI fuel delivery which the A3,4,5, RS4,5 suffer some of the same issue I heard!
The remap It isn't to provide mad driving experience its more to provide me with a smoother drive better performance .(not looking for more top end)
Now what i don't understand is the immobiliser issue.
In learning about about the 1.6fsi, i don't quite understand why a donor spare ECU wont work because of the immobiliser. is the transponder programmed into the ECU etc.? please advise sorry to be a pain.
Now in reading some of the feeds on the Pro boost the remap partly resolve carbon and temperature issue (correct me if am wrong) but does it deliver better performance and fuel economy? for me achieving 40+mpg on a long urban run is punker as it stands.
so what are the real benefits of the pro boost

In learning about about the 1.6fsi, i don't quite understand why a donor spare ECU wont work because of the immobiliser. is the transponder programmed into the ECU etc.? please advise sorry to be a pain.
In the A2, the immobiliser is effectively a split system consisting of three parts: the keys, the instrument cluster and the engine management unit. Change any one of those parts, and your car won't start. As such, A2 ECUs are not plug-n-play unless the immobiliser is disabled.

Myself and some others have the ability to either disable the immobiliser or swap components by doing the necessary software programming. It's very rare that I disable the immobiliser because it has insurance implications; it's something that I'll do temporarily to rescue a stranded A2, for instance, but I'll reinstate the immobiliser as part of the repair work.

Cheers,

Tom

@timmus
Just curious. If an ECU is removed from a car, remapped (by ProBoost for example) and refitted to the same car, is the immobilser automatically disabled, or is it disabled by the re-mapper to make it universal fit?
Mac.

@timmus
Just curious. If an ECU is removed from a car, remapped (by ProBoost for example) and refitted to the same car, is the immobilser automatically disabled, or is it disabled by the re-mapper to make it universal fit?
Mac.
Hi Mac,

The remapping and the disabling of the immobiliser are two separate processes.

So, if you were to send your ECU to ProBoost, for example, they could remap it and send it back to you with the immobiliser still enabled. You'd then reinstall it in your car, it would realise that it was back in its original vehicle, and everything would work perfectly. If, however, you were to install it in another A2, the engine would not start.

As you rightly say, some remappers choose to disable the immobiliser in order to make the ECU universal-fit.

Cheers,

Tom

The immobiliser isn’t disabled as a preference in the example of the Pro Boost map. It’s done so that the service of a having a remapped ECU with no loss of the use of the car can be achieved.

Hi Mac,

The remapping and the disabling of the immobiliser are two separate processes.

So, if you were to send your ECU to ProBoost, for example, they could remap it and send it back to you with the immobiliser still enabled. You'd then reinstall it in your car, it would realise that it was back in its original vehicle, and everything would work perfectly. If, however, you were to install it in another A2, the engine would not start.

As you rightly say, some remappers choose to disable the immobiliser in order to make the ECU universal-fit.

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks for the clarification.
Mac.

Thanks buddy
What are the key benefits of the Pro boost remap.... any performance benefits?

Thanks buddy
What are the key benefits of the Pro boost remap.... any performance benefits?

Have a read of the opening post here

Have a read of the opening post here
rite. cup of coco and will do my reading research many thanks

I'll have a spare ECU with transponder key available within the next week, it's for a 1.4 so not sure if it'll be of use.

Back