EGR removal

Reubenah

Just wandering what the advantages and disadvantages of getting rid of the EGR valve as mine is very oily and wanted to see if anyone has done it and whether it’s worth doing. It’s a TDI 75

Reuben

depronman

A2OC Donor
removal prevent the cold air charge from the intercooler being heated up by exhaust gases, also prevent burn dirty gases from the exhaust being feed into the inlet manifold and therefore into the engine
On a new engine the advantage of the EGR is reduced NOX, but this is lost by the time the engine as done around 40K miles, therefore my logic is at the age and millage of our A2's the EGR is doing no good and some harm. I have had mine removed for years, disconnected on one A2 and removed on the other
On the hand removal of the EGR is illegal for road use as you are tampering with the emission standard of the car. Mine as gone through several MOT without problem, to each his own.

Cheers,

Jellybean

Admin Team
Paul does the EGR need mapping out or will removal and blanking plates suffice?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reubenah

removal prevent the cold air charge from the intercooler being heated up by exhaust gases, also prevent burn dirty gases from the exhaust being feed into the inlet manifold and therefore into the engine
On a new engine the advantage of the EGR is reduced NOX, but this is lost by the time the engine as done around 40K miles, therefore my logic is at the age and millage of our A2's the EGR is doing no good and some harm. I have had mine removed for years, disconnected on one A2 and removed on the other
On the hand removal of the EGR is illegal for road use as you are tampering with the emission standard of the car. Mine as gone through several MOT without problem, to each his own.

Cheers,
Is it an easy job to myself or is there a good place to send the car to get it done, as I think it’ll be a good thing to do.

Reuben

timmus

A2OC Donor
Hi Reuben,

Have a read of Section 9 of the TDI120 thread. It's all about the anti-shudder and EGR valves...

It would help to know whether you have the AMF engine or BHC engine. Both are 75bhp, but the EGR systems vary slightly. The photos in the TDI120 thread are all specific to the AMF engine, but the principles are similar.

You cannot just physically remove or blank the EGR without also removing its function from the engine management unit's map. Doing so will cause the engine management light to come on.

Cheers,

Tom

Reubenah

Hi Reuben,

Have a read of Section 9 of the TDI120 thread. It's all about the anti-shudder and EGR valves...

It would help to know whether you have the AMF engine or BHC engine. Both are 75bhp, but the EGR systems vary slightly. The photos in the TDI120 thread are all specific to the AMF engine, but the principles are similar.

You cannot just physically remove or blank the EGR without also removing its function from the engine management unit's map. Doing so will cause the engine management light to come on.

Cheers,

Tom
Hi Tom,
Mine is the AMF engine

Reubenah

I think it’s a thing I will get done, what’s it like on emotions after it has been done, and where is the best place to get it done

depronman

A2OC Donor
on the AMF engine simple remove and plug the vacuum pipe going to the EGR valve, hat is the EGR value disabled.
You can also replace the EGR with a 'straight through pipe' on the AMF engine for better airflow

spike

I think Tom's comment on 'removing its function from the engine management unit's map' only applies to the 75 BHC engine (and the 90 tdi) as I've disconnected the EGR on my AMF engine with no error codes.
I just removed the vacuum pipe to the EGR diaphragm capsule and blocked off the pipe, and capped the diaphragm hose connection to prevent dirt ingress.
If however you're having the engine remapped anyway then the 'EGR function omit' is a worthwhile mod

Cheers Spike

Oops. Paul's beaten me to it - though I'd not recommend replacing the EGR unit as it includes the anti shudder butterfly

philward

A2OC Donor
on the AMF engine simple remove and plug the vacuum pipe going to the EGR valve, hat is the EGR value disabled.
You can also replace the EGR with a 'straight through pipe' on the AMF engine for better airflow
I’d like to check, the EGR on an AMF cannot be replaced with a straight pipe because the EGR includes the anti shudder valve?
However the EGR portion of the combined valve can be modified, by machining to provide better air flow?
AMF EGR is deleted by unplugging the EGR vac actuator?
A remap of an ANF does not delete the EGR vac function, it has to be unplugged mechanically?
Thanks
Phil

Jellybean

Admin Team
I’d like to check, the EGR on an AMF cannot be replaced with a straight pipe because the EGR includes the anti shudder valve?
However the EGR portion of the combined valve can be modified, by machining to provide better air flow?
AMF EGR is deleted by unplugging the EGR vac actuator?
A remap of an ANF does not delete the EGR vac function, it has to be unplugged mechanically?
Thanks
Phil
Correct, the anti shudder valve needs to remain in place on the AMF engine.
The EGR port can be blanked then smoothed internally to improve airflow, but make sure any bung is secure!
The vacuum pipe will need blanking off.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

depronman

A2OC Donor
I offer a machining service for the amf and other tdi engines to machine out the egr element of the egr/ASV assy
On the bhc and atl the egr is a separate unit to the ASV and as such a delete pipe can be use but I offer a machining service also for the bhc/atl egr as it keep the egr looking stock

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sylvester

Cheers,
I've heard that removing EGR on petrol engines doesn't really change much change, it makes more sense on diesel cars. Is that true?

depronman

A2OC Donor
I've heard that removing EGR on petrol engines doesn't really change much change, it makes more sense on diesel cars. Is that true?
most petrol engines will through a MIL light and run rather poorly if the EGR is blanked off, inhertantly the petrol suffers less from the Exhaust gases as the gases are cleaner. The diesels get more benefit and complain less from EGR removal