EGR Removed

depronman

A2OC Donor
I have now been running with the modified EGR valve on the AMF engine, well modified is likely an understatement what I really mean is the innards of the EGR have been removed, thus greatly improving the engines air flow.
I immediately felt a performance increase, the engine being much more free revving and simply put it now has an urge to go which it didn't have before. Don't get me wrong its a remapped AMF and was sprightly before, but this has taken it to the next level.
I ran a tank through, but on mainly motorway runs which is not the norm for me, I got 72mpg on the motorway runs, very good I thought and certainly an improvement of around 5 MPG, but this not being my normal commute it was difficult to say and some what inconclusive.
I have now run 10 days or so on my normal commuting and all I can say is at 188 miles I am on the gauge where I would have been at around the 140 mile mark, so I am 50 miles further on the same fuel.
I have not been particularly driving for economy and have not changed my route to/from work nor has the temp or road conditions changed over the last couple of weeks

if I continue to get the same MPG I will be looking at 450 to 460 miles before the low fuel light comes on, this is around 100 to 110 miles MORE that I was getting before the EGR change. I also filled up at Tesco's on the last fill where as I normally use Shell, Shell normally gets me 20 miles more than Tesco's which makes the above even better. I also did not over fill the tank, stopped and the second click, no burping etc

IMG-0064.JPG
IMG-0064.JPG
IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg

Attachments

audifan

A2OC Donor
That is really impressive! I am amazed at just what a difference you have achieved in the fuel mileage. Can you explain to the less knowledgable what you have machined off and if the butterfly valve still moves. Curious to see what it has done to the emissions.

Jellybean

A2OC Donor
Paul, lets validate on more than one car? Ping me a price for the mod, and I will raid my money box! I have a spare engine, so could send the necessary part up for modification.

depronman

A2OC Donor
I will get a picture of the EGR valve I took off so you can see the difference
I have machines out all of the EGR valve moving parts, leaving the anti shudder valve 'flap' in place and working
The EGR pipe from the exhaust is now blanked off by the modification to the EGR valve body, but this was disconnected anyway before the valve was changed. The improvement has come from the increased airflow through the EGR valve body. When you look at it in detail is is around a 35% increase in area by the removal of the moving parts of the EGR, this is obviously beneficial to the engine both in terms of performance and economy

Edwrai

How is fitting and removal of the EGR is it hard to get to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depronman

A2OC Donor
Paul, lets validate on more than one car? Ping me a price for the mod, and I will raid my money box! I have a spare engine, so could send the necessary part up for modification.
I'm happy to modify EGR valve as long as -
(a) A2OC has no problem with it - can a Moderator please confirm either way please
(b) you are happy to provide a valve, I cannot provide a price before hand as I don't know how long it will take, but a rough estimate would be £50

Edwrai

Am I right in thinking for the TDi 90 the cut off is not integrated?

depronman

A2OC Donor
The is for AMF engines only as the EGR on the BHC and ATL is different and the ECU will though MIL lights if the pot is not moving

depronman

A2OC Donor
certainly in my own remap the EGR is code to not open, but still moves the EGR flap, if the ECU senses that the flap is not moving up comes the MIL light
Now it would be possible in theory to remove the motor and pot from the egr casting and connect them together and strap them to the bulk head out the way, but this is getting in a owl lot deeper :)

Menno

A2OC Donor
I will get a picture of the EGR valve I took off so you can see the difference
I have machines out all of the EGR valve moving parts, leaving the anti shudder valve 'flap' in place and working
The EGR pipe from the exhaust is now blanked off by the modification to the EGR valve body, but this was disconnected anyway before the valve was changed. The improvement has come from the increased airflow through the EGR valve body. When you look at it in detail is is around a 35% increase in area by the removal of the moving parts of the EGR, this is obviously beneficial to the engine both in terms of performance and economy
And this is a good thing in my opinion (leaving the ASV in place and in working order).
All the "EGR delete kits" that are available, will also get rid of the ASV.
I would like to have the ASV still in place, because it's stopping the engine directly (duh!) after shut off, and is a nice "safety" feature if the engine decides to run on it's own engine oil or is a "run away"........

depronman

A2OC Donor
And this is a good thing in my opinion (leaving the ASV in place and in working order).
All the "EGR delete kits" that are available, will also get rid of the ASV.
I would like to have the ASV still in place, because it's stopping the engine directly (duh!) after shut off, and is a nice "safety" feature if the engine decides to run on it's own engine oil or is a "run away"........
I fully agree on all points this is why I modified the egr and did not just buy a delete pipe

Jellybean

A2OC Donor
I'm happy to modify EGR valve as long as -
(a) A2OC has no problem with it - can a Moderator please confirm either way please
(b) you are happy to provide a valve, I cannot provide a price before hand as I don't know how long it will take, but a rough estimate would be £50
Thanks Paul. I have asked a Moderator to give approval, but personally I see no conflict with the Forum's rules.
Can you ping me an image/s of what you require?

depronman

A2OC Donor
Thanks Paul. I have asked a Moderator to give approval, but personally I see no conflict with the Forum's rules.
Can you ping me an image/s of what you require?
just the part in the earlier post pictures, there will be a 3" Dia 'flying saucer' on the top which I have removed

Cheers
Paul

timmus

A2OC Donor
The same modification was done to my car when the TDI120 was installed. You can read about and see photos of the EGR/ASV modifcation in Section 9 of the TDI120 thread...
This part was expertly machined by Graham; @spike.

@depronman's modification is identical, except he has also removed the 'flying saucer' from the top. Graham and I decided it was best to keep the flying saucer in place because it means that outwardly the EGR still appears to be in place. From the perspective of potential future changes to the MOT legislation, we decided this was best.

If your current EGR valve is totally clogged with tar, you will see a considerable increase in both performance and economy. This was the case with Paul's car, hence why he's seeing such a big increase in fuel range. However, if your EGR isn't especially clogged, the gains will be marginal... a 2mpg increase, I'd suggest.

As has already been mentioned, this modification is only necessary if you have a combined EGR/ASV, as fitted to the AMF engine (earlier TDI75). If you have a BHC engine (later TDI75) or an ATL engine (TDI90), this modification is not required as the EGR and ASV systems are separate. For those with a BHC/ATL engine, you can simply replace the EGR valve with an off-the-shelf straight-through pipe (assuming the EGR functionality is also removed from the car's software).

Now it would be possible in theory to remove the motor and pot from the egr casting and connect them together and strap them to the bulk head out the way
There is no motor and potentiometer on the EGR casting of any of the TDIs. All the TDI engines use a vacuum-actuated EGR system. It is the ASV on the BHC/ATL engines that uses a motor and pot.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:

depronman

A2OC Donor
The same modification was done to my car when the TDI120 was installed. You can read about and see photos of the EGR/ASV modifcation in Section 9 of the TDI120 thread...
This part was expertly machined by Graham; @spike.

@depronman's modification is identical, except he has also removed the 'flying saucer' from the top. Graham and I decided it was best to keep the flying saucer in place because it means that outwardly the EGR still appears to be in place. From the perspective of potential future changes to the MOT legislation, we decided this was best.

If your current EGR valve is totally clogged with tar, you will see a considerable increase in both performance and economy. This was the case with Paul's car, hence why he's seeing such a big increase in fuel range. However, if your EGR isn't especially clogged, the gains will be marginal... a 2mpg increase, I'd suggest.

As has already been mentioned, this modification is only necessary if you have a combined EGR/ASV, as fitted to the AMF engine (earlier TDI75). If you have a BHC engine (later TDI75) or an ATL engine (TDI90), this modification is not required as the EGR and ASV systems are separate. For those with a BHC/ATL engine, you can simply replace the EGR valve with an off-the-shelf straight-through pipe (assuming the EGR functionality is also removed from the car's software).

There is no motor and potentiometer on the EGR casting of any of the TDIs. All the TDI engines use a vacuum-actuated EGR system. It is the ASV on the BHC/ATL engines that uses a motor and pot.

Cheers,

Tom
Apologies I was doing the BHC/ATL stuff from memory, Tom is spot on - so this opens this up to ALL TDI engines :)

timmus

A2OC Donor
so this opens this up to ALL TDI engines
Well, not really. There simply is no need for this mod on the BHC and ATL engines. From my post above...
Anyone with a BHC/ATL engine wantig to get rid of the obstruction presented by the EGR valve's internals has always been able to do so. Companies like Allard make a simple straight-through pipe to replace the EGR, as fitted by many members here.

Cheers,

Tom