Electric warning before starting?

sunsurfer

Perhaps a gormless question, but is an electrical warning light staying on before starting the engine something to be concerned about? After the engine starts the light goes out.
Is it suggesting the battery is weak?

All of the dash warnung lights should come on, as a "lights test" at the first turn position of the ignition key. Simply to make sure they all work. The alert functions are only enabled, once the engine starts. As long as they all come on, then go out at engine start, you're all good.
Mac.

All of the dash warnung lights should come on, as a "lights test" at the first turn position of the ignition key. Simply to make sure they all work. The alert functions are only enabled, once the engine starts. As long as they all come on, then go out at engine start, you're all good.
Mac.
Thanks PlasticMac but my query was if I turn the electrics on at the ignition key and don't start the engine.
  1. all the warning lights come on and go out again except the electrics warning
  2. start the engine then the electrics warning light goes off
Is this usual? Or is it warning me on something to do with the electrics? I'm wondering if it is suggesting 'weak battery' because once the alternator is charging it there isn't a problem?

Thanks PlasticMac but my query was if I turn the electrics on at the ignition key and don't start the engine.
Is this usual? Or is it warning me on something to do with the electrics? I'm wondering if it is suggesting 'weak battery' because once the alternator is charging it there isn't a problem?
The sequence you describe is what is supposed to happen. All the warning lights come on in order that you can tell they are all working. The ones other than the charging check light that you're concerned about go off after a few seconds - certainly in the case of the diesels before the glow plug light goes off - and the charge warning remains until the alternator starts to put charge into the battery.
If you have access to another vehicle, have a look at that; I expect it will do exactly the same.

@sunsurfer
Sorry, I miss understood.
@Jeff Sutcliffe is a more careful reader than I!
Mac.

The sequence you describe is what is supposed to happen. All the warning lights come on in order that you can tell they are all working. The ones other than the charging check light that you're concerned about go off after a few seconds - certainly in the case of the diesels before the glow plug light goes off - and the charge warning remains until the alternator starts to put charge into the battery.
If you have access to another vehicle, have a look at that; I expect it will do exactly the same.
Ah yes, thanks for the explanation. Odd in these times we can start worrying about anything!

Back