Emmisions - 1.4 TDI - CT (MOT) Fail Yesterday

JWT

I took my A2 for its CT yesterday which is only every 2 years in France. It would appear that the threshold for the emmision test has been changed since my last CT for this car.
I guess the question I am asking is what is the real life emmision level result that can be expected from the 1.4TDI 75 - whatever I do it may mean that the car will not pass - the accpeted level being less than or equal to 0.70m - the car achieved an average of 2.03 at the test.
Could anyone confirm the UK MOT test requirements ?

I took my A2 for its CT yesterday which is only every 2 years in France. It would appear that the threshold for the emmision test has been changed since my last CT for this car.
I guess the question I am asking is what is the real life emmision level result that can be expected from the 1.4TDI 75 - whatever I do it may mean that the car will not pass - the accpeted level being less than or equal to 0.70m - the car achieved an average of 2.03 at the test.
Could anyone confirm the UK MOT test requirements ?
Technically yes but only if the tester can find the label if not then a default value of 3.00 is used.

Has yours got any boost leaks as that does sound smokey for a PD diesel or maybe it needs a good spirited drive to clean up the system

Along with adding some good fuel additive to clear out the system and reduce some of the emissions, just not sure which products are available to you in France.

I have a combined product from Bardahl that has an oil and fuel additive - it appears that the threshold being applied here is way below the current UK limit ?

I have a combined product from Bardahl that has an oil and fuel additive - it appears that the threshold being applied here is way below the current UK limit ?
No the UK should be testing at plate value if present or if not then the default setting is used.
In fairness the PD diesel should sail thru if no defects on engine.
Mineral 2-stroke oil can help too!

Where is the plate that shows the 3.0 limit ? The last few times the MoT tester has put down a limit of 2.5 on the MoT cert. Fortunately mine passed at around 1.1 so no problem.
Thanks.

The threshold being applied in France is 0.70 - I have checked with a friend who gets his VW Transporter tested at the same location and its the same for his vehicle - last year the line was 0.8 - this year its been dropped !!!

just checked my last MOT, 167K miles, AMF engine, emissions pass with 0.10 1/m. I don't do anything special to the car, just maintain it well and drive it like I stole it. My mpg is a bit poor, never managed 60 but emissions appear good.
I suspect your car is capable of passing

Last edited:
Exactly as I have already said in post #5. Thanks for all the others reinforcing that.

Just do not know what products are available to the OP in FRANCE.

My 2 preferred treatments are ecomotive Clean Drive and Cataclean, both work very well. and are available in the UK. Make sure you follow the instruction for these to the letter.

Not much into diesels, but, since our (UK) MoT guidelines (as posted by @AndyP) were based on an EU Directive, it's logical that the French guidelines will be similar. Worth @JWT reading the French equivalent, and also finding out what the "plate value" which I'd think was the figure on the car's CoC. Surely, the CT figure for the car will not be any lower than the value on the CoC (and Euro3 spec). Unless the plan is to remove every non Euro3 diesel vehicle in France, almost overnight.
All I'm saying is check that what you're being told is genuinely fact.
Mac.

Same location on a LHD car - under the left front floor panel. Academic though if France have decided to ignore this and impose their own fictitious limits.

Thanks for that - I will check the car later. What I have established is that the last MOT that was completed in the UK used 3.0 as the marker and the car passed with a score of around 2.0. Its acutally lower than that now. The Cert of Conformity I think states 0.7 - its in German so can't be 100% on that. The postion at the moment is that the car will pass a UK MOT with no issues but will not pass a CT here !!!

Checked the car and the plate is there under the passenger carpet - its indicating 0.70 which is exactly what the CT is looking for - 2 years ago at the last CT the threshold was 3.0 at which the car passed. Reality is will I ever get to the 0.70 measurement required and what may have only been possible when the car was brand new !!!
Be interested to hear of any recent test results in the UK for this model ?

Last edited:
Back